BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning

After carefully considering the new phones on the market for a replacement for my Sony Ericsson T610, I realised none of them impressed me that much.

So, I decided to use ebay to buy a phone I had a long time ago, before I managed to lose two of them, the Nokia 8850. I don't think anything on the market today looks as good, plus it is quite exclusive now as it has been discontinued for a while.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,18197,00.html

What do you guys think, or am I just being really boring :hihi:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's been around a while now so you should be able to get a good deal.

It looks like a lovely phone. Keep in mind that you may not be able to clip it to your belt etc. Also, make sure any phone has the features that you need e.g. bluetooth, triband etc.

Short of spending megabucks on something like a Vertu I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ashok, I managed to get one for £65 on ebay, and it sill looks the business!

I don't really use bluetooth, or tri band, but I have a couple of modern phones that do, so I will be sorted when I eventually get my bluetooth car kit!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Short of spending megabucks on something like a Vertu I'd say go for it.
:haha: I saw those Vertu phones at a high-end jewelry store once. I was hiha when I saw it and then saw the price tag. I read about them on the net, but never really believed the price till I saw it in person. What kind of idiot would actually drop that kind of coin on a phone? Even if I were irresponsibly wealthy I wouldn't.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Do I detect some Swedish bias there Gustav? :viking:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Haha OK I confess :) Although myself is looking to buy the new updated Nokia 6230i with 1,3 MP caera. The 6230 was a great phone and the 6230i will be better!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a Nokia 6230 as well. Great little phone - amazing that they fit so much in such a small package. If all you want is a good, compact phone with some great features I would recomend it.

I wanted a convergence device that could do more than the 6230. I find data entry with a numeric keyboard close to useless. I bought a Treo 650 and highly recommend it. The keyboard is great. I can type on it almost as fast as I do on a regular keyboard. Also, the screen is 320x320 and very bright (pictures look amazing). It is like having a mini laptop computer in your pocket.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Can someone recommend a phone for me? I need Triband and Bluetooth (for the new M5). I don't need a camera function or fancy ringtones.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Mmm not really Dyl, I forgot to mention it has to fit in the armrest cradle in the new M5. I don't need Blackberry as I don't use mobile email.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah - the Nokia 9500. I had one of the 9000i Communicators when they came out in 1998. I thought I was the coolest cat in town until one day, when I was heading out to a nightclub, my Dad said "They won't let you in with that phone, the bouncers will think it's a cosh*" :1:

*(cosh - Brit.

• noun a thick heavy stick or bar used as a weapon.

• verb hit on the head with a cosh. )

Ashok - the SE T610 I have just now works well, and has the features you require. No complaints with it so far.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm currently using an SL55 thankfully my contract is coming to an end so I can choose a new phone. My financee uses a Samsung E800. Both of these phones are of a sliding design and quite small. I would advise against this design as it tends to break after a while, both phones have been sent for repairs and signal strength is pretty poor even in cities.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Jaguar said:
Ah - the Nokia 9500. I had one of the 9000i Communicators when they came out in 1998. I thought I was the coolest cat in town until one day, when I was heading out to a nightclub, my Dad said "They won't let you in with that phone, the bouncers will think it's a cosh*" :1:

*(cosh - Brit.

• noun a thick heavy stick or bar used as a weapon.

• verb hit on the head with a cosh. )

Ashok - the SE T610 I have just now works well, and has the features you require. No complaints with it so far.

LOL with cosh :1:

but pretty true..

The sliding down models as Andy said can be easily broken, but I think it depends on the usage too.. I personally prefer a clamshell or basic phone like 6230.. but I think as buyers we have awfully nice options now that there are so many great phones on the market.. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm still looking for a 8210 in mint condition, the one i have now is.......well lets say almost destroyed.

Had the 9210i for 2 years, when i sold it the guy thought it was brand new!!! good phone, but really needed the cash at the time (got almost 45% of its brand new value in 2 years!!!!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts