BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I can't make it to the clinic this Sunday - Lisa and I are doing Valentine's Day on Sunday because Mondays BLOW!

You'll have to give us the full report at breakfast next weekend. Have fun!
+1, Look forward to hearing about it, I practice my car control every time it rains or snows :grinyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm in for the Golden Valley location, also may I suggest from onwards once the Car's & Coffee starts we have b'fast on those days and drive to the event should be fun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm in for the Golden Valley location, also may I suggest from onwards once the Car's & Coffee starts we have b'fast on those days and drive to the event should be fun.
Agreed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey all-

Just wanted to introduce myself to the fellow MN board members. I've spoken to a few of you previously via PM, but thought I'd join this thread officially. I picked up my M5 last spring and have been loving it ever since. I'm hoping to make the next breakfast at GDC since I live up that way. Looking toward to meeting everyone and their rides!

Later,
Drew

·
Registered
223 Posts
Next Saturday, the 26th. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your S3!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oops - Jumped the Gun

Wow - you're correct, it's Saturday the 26th of Feb which is next Saturday. Thanks for pointing this out, as I would have been sitting there this Saturday all by my lonesome. Inverno's out of town this weekend, so we're hooking up the following. I'm a goof...

·
Registered
223 Posts
It would have been a little funny if you had just shown up by yourself!

·
Registered
216 Posts
"Quick" report on the BMW CCA Adv. Car Control Clinic (last Sunday):
It was a blast as usual. This was my third Clinic with them, but first in the M5 (I have done a summer and a winter class before in the M3). The day was split up between two groups that would alternate driving lessons with an instructor and classroom sessions.

Holy crap the M5 is fast. It just tore up the slalom and was very communicative in the corners. I usually come home appreciating and liking the car much more than before the event, but this time it really opened my eyes to what the beast can do. On the street, you don't get to push it like this ever, and it was awesome to get a feel for what the M5 can really do. M cars transform on closed courses and I can't recommend these events highly enough for M5 drivers. I can't wait for BIR in May. My heart was pumping really fast after each 30 minute run.

The M cars provide plenty of enjoyment just as daily drivers, but I feel that if you never take them to a race track or a driving event then you don't get your money's worth. There is a whole another side to these machines that just can't be enjoyed on public streets.

And, I guess I went in with low expectation, since the E60 M5 does feel kind of heavy and comfortable at lower speeds or during daily driving. But once pushed these puppies turn into a F430 - and it surprised me since I never got to see that side of our cars yet.

There are some things to be aware of with these events. These are closed courses so your insurance won't cover you if your car meets a pure ice snow bank. I always get HPDE insurance for BIR events, but for Car Control Clinics I just try not to crash. :) There can be close calls since the road surface was changing constantly during the day on Sunday from snow to slush to dry - and you just have to leave a lot of room for error. Everyone goes at their own pace (what you are comfortable with), and speed limit on the DCTC course is 55mph, so it wasn't too bad. Goal wasn't speed, but to learn the line and to be smooth (and to drive the same car home that you drove to the event). No one is pushed to drive fast.

Just wanted to report on a wonderful weekend. I can't wait for the spring to come with more driving/car oriented events (Cars and Coffee, HPDEs at Brainerd, car control clinics, maybe even autocross in the 4000lbs car??).

·
Registered
732 Posts
That sounds like a TON of fun! I will have to try to sign up for the HPDE at Brainerd this May. My fiancee's parents live in Brainerd, so we could have a GTG BBQ or something at their house. We can talk about it at one of the breakfast events.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place to start this post but I'm a new MN member. I've followed this forum from time to time over the last few years and with a recent purchase of an '07 M5, I figured I would finally become a member. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to some fellow enthusiasts. I plan on attending some HPDE's and Cars and Coffee this upcoming season and I hope to meet some of you in the nearby future!

-Matt

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey all sorry but got a sick kid last night so had to skip the meet this morning. Hope you all had fun. I'll try and make the next one...and hopefully it's a bit warmer then too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hope your kid is feeling better soon! We'll catch you next month - we had a good time in spite of the weather. Inverno pulled a sweet drift through the parking lot on the way out. That alone was worth the price of admission. :)

Take care and see you in March.

Hey all sorry but got a sick kid last night so had to skip the meet this morning. Hope you all had fun. I'll try and make the next one...and hopefully it's a bit warmer then too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Greetings, Matt - congratulations on the nice 2007. My favorite year. :)

Great group of enthusiasts here in the North Star state. We're hooking up for breakfast next month, then before each monthly run to Cars and Coffee. Join us!

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place to start this post but I'm a new MN member. I've followed this forum from time to time over the last few years and with a recent purchase of an '07 M5, I figured I would finally become a member. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to some fellow enthusiasts. I plan on attending some HPDE's and Cars and Coffee this upcoming season and I hope to meet some of you in the nearby future!

-Matt

101 - 120 of 488 Posts