BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been having a weird problem with the navi screen. At random times, the screen would go blank and then starts flickering, sort of as a TV with no cable signal. Music doesnt stop playing, and I think if I use the navi at the same time it will continue giving directions through the speakers. After a while, the problem seems to resolve itself but it could take 5min or 45min before I can see the screen again. Once it is fixed, it is back to normal, and no setting were lost or reset.

I did a search and found some similar problems, but nothing that was exactly like mine (other threads were of failing navi units, computer re flashes and what not)...

any insight as what the problem might be? it seems as a bad connection somewhere, but I am not sure at this point. :confused:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Obviously anywhere between the Nav (and TV if you have one) can cause the problem, but the most common failure point are the ribbon cables that connect the tilting monitor to the main unit. Sometimes it's just that they work loose from the connectors, sometimes they crack.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. thanks for the help. I checked on the cable behind the screen and it seems fine.
At first i though it was the CD map i had inserted that was making the Navi to restart. I removed the CD from the DVD player and it got better for a day, but then started the same problem. Now I've been driving for 2 weeks with no maps in the Navi, and the screen still goes off at some point. When it comes back on, it starts with the BMW logo, followed by the warning message w/ Accept button. And often as soon as I see my screen it goes blank again, and then starts flickering. At this point I am not sure if this is related to the DVD player in the trunk and/or navigation since i have no maps in there. Please note that I do not have a TV module in the car.

Has anyone else experiences similar thing? :grrrr:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I might be checking for a power issue if you're getting the BMW logo coming up, perhaps simple things like double-checking connectors or cleaning them, can be a bit inhospitable behind that cover.

The last time my screen went funny, I just had a teletext-style map on the screen, asking me to go to BMW for it sorting. I have an AV cable arrangement in there, not sure what it is, think it's an AV cable set as a previous owner had a DVD player in there. The only problem was the RS232-type cable had become unplugged, once back in, it's fine again.

Worth checking the simple things is the point I'm trying to make.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you see the BMW logo then the nav has re-booted. The Nav rebooting with no map disc is not a common occurance, this might indicate a power supply problem to the Nav.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you see the BMW logo then the nav has re-booted. The Nav rebooting with no map disc is not a common occurance, this might indicate a power supply problem to the Nav.
just to clarify, the only piece of hardware associated with the Nav is the actual "DVD player" that accepts the disc, right? Or is there other stuff i need to look at in the trunk, which is associated with the Nav. It should be easy to pull out and check its connector plugs, but it doesn't seem likely that the plug is the problem.

I should also say that the car does not have a radio. I think it might be dead, since it won't lock on any radio station, but I think this is irrelevant. :confused2

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The Nav system comprises the Nav computer, monitor and radio as a minimum. You can also have a TV module and other third party modules daisy chained in to the video circuit.

A faulty radio module should not cause the screen to flicker as it is not in the display circuit, but I'd not rule it out entirely as it is part of the system. Unless you have the TV module only the Nav and monitor are in the video circuit (unless you have a third party video input module or Traffic Master in the UK).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i dont have any tv module or third party video input modules. i do have a dice unit hooked up instead of the cd changer, but that shouldn't affect the display either.

If the power to the screen is the problem, it might flicker, but when it starts working again, I should not see the BMW logo. Instead I should see the screen that was there before it started flickering. In other words, a faulty screen connection, should not restart anything.

If the BMW logo means something was restarted, it sounds like the problem comes from the actual display module being restarted or Nav unit. Which devices in the trunk should I be looking at? The DVD player only? Is there a separate video module that transmits the picture to the screen?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
For all Nav computers except the MK I, the video circuitry is within the Nav unit (i.e. the one with the map disc slot).

In Europe, it is possible for badly formed TMC messages from the radio to cause the Nav computer to re-boot. In the US you don't have this capability so I don't know if this is possible. Do you have the modified Nav software that gives speed camera alerts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue on my MKIV - radio still works, but screen flickers, sometimes shows the BMW screen like it's rebooting constantly.

Did you ever determine a solution? I'm going to try the v32 software once I get one with a snazzy new splash screen, but it just "seems" like it's a hardware issue.

Thanks- Marc

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, sorry for the late response. Yes I did get it fixed. It was a hardware problem!

I found a guy (his info is somewhere in the forum, but I can try to look it up for you) who specializes in fixing BMW nav units. I sent it to him once (I think he was in NJ), and he replaced several things in the unit. I got it back in about a week, hooked it up and the screen problem was not fixed. So I called him back (he gives a good warranty on his labor), explained the problem again, and he asked me to resend it. According to him, there was a problem with the power supply inside the unit. In order to six it, he installed an extra power wire that comes out of the unit panel. I had to tap this new wire into a hot wire in the trunk that comes on with the ignition. You dont want to use a wire that has voltage 24/7 as the NAV will not turn off. I dont remember any of the details but I should be able to find them if you get that far with your troubleshooting. I thought the prices for his services were reasonable (if not cheap) and he did not charge me for the second time.

I would recommend you talking to him if you are still having issues. Let me know!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the same issue in a way, it flickers and stops when I turn the headlamps on or when the engine is not running. I am still hunting the grimlin.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok then. I just found his info. Contact Fei Chen (I think he goes by Jimmy)

Alpine Auto Sound
140 Hirschfield Pl New Milford, NJ 07646
(201) 312-2317

feiyuan89 at yahoo dot com
alpineautosound at yahoo dot com

He is really good and might be able to help you out remotely if you give him the exact symptoms. If not, just mail the unit to him and he will take care of it. I hope that helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts