BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's not Powerchips or Brembo brakes or a hot clutch set up etc...... (all for which to come) but I installed a MKIV Nav Computer in my 00 today. It took about an hour and a half and went without a hitch. There's a lot of stuff in that corner of the car. The software loaded easily, the graphics are clear and is much faster then the MKII. Plus one DVD for North America. Next is the 16/9 wide screen monitor that I found on ebay. A great way to spend Saturday afternoon. :M5thumbs:

Joe

·
Registered
784 Posts
hudson said:
I know it's not Powerchips or Brembo brakes or hot clutch set up etc...... (all for which to come) but I installed a MKIV Nav Computer in my 00 today. It took about an hour and a half and went without a hitch. There's a lot of stuff in that corner of the car. The software loaded easily, the graphics are clear and is much faster then the MKII. Plus one DVD for North America. Next is the 16/9 wide screen monitor that I found on ebay. A great way to spend Saturday afternoon. :M5thumbs:

Joe

Don't diminish the value of what you did......the MKIV is a very nice improvement......I think the one CD covers NA and Canada..... regardless the maps, graphics, the speed, and the areas covered particularly the remote is much better.....

Enjoy Shadowman

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I did the MK III to MK IV upgrade. It was easy and also well worth it. I even sold the old unit on eBay with the Nav CD for $325, so it wasn't too expensive to upgrade. I use the Navigation system frequently, and like it better than the one in our 2004 Cayenne S in some respects.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shadowman said:
Don't diminish the value of what you did......the MKIV is a very nice improvement......I think the one CD covers NA and Canada..... regardless the maps, graphics, the speed, and the areas covered particularly the remote is much better.....

Enjoy Shadowman
Thanks shadowman it pales by comparison to your work, which I greatly respect. I do most of the electrical jobs in my shop and upgrades are a lot of fun and self satisfying.

Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
shadowman said:

Enjoy Shadowman
Hmm..I thought it was a DVD

?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
GregC said:
Hmm..I thought it was a DVD
[/IMG]
It's a DVD in the MK IV.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Stevus said:
This is my next mod! I alraedy have the 16:9, and

the NAV-TV unit. :M5launch: :M5launch:
I found a 16:9 on ebay and bought it. Can't what to get it a install it. :M5thumbs:

GregC the MKVI is a DVD system. One disc does Canada and the USA. Nice car you have.

Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
hudson said:
I found a 16:9 on ebay and bought it. Can't what to get it a install it. :M5thumbs:

GregC the MKVI is a DVD system. One disc does Canada and the USA. Nice car you have.

Joe
Thanks Joe..I kinda thought so but my car isn't being drivrn right now.Isn't there a new version of the Nav ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greg I got a 2005 model Nav computer with DVD map 2004-2 of North America and Canada. It came with V24.1 software. I bought from a guy off ebay as a package deal. I think it the same one that they used for a couple of years.

Joe

·
Registered
399 Posts
hudson said:
Greg I got a 2005 model Nav computer with DVD map 2004-2 of North America and Canada. It came with V24.1 software. I bought from a guy off ebay as a package deal. I think it the same one that they used for a couple of years.

Joe
Yes I think that's the one I currently have also.

Tks

·
Registered
92 Posts
What's a typical price on an MkIV? I have a 2002 M5, build date 10/01, with an MkIII. My radio's died, and rather than just fix it, I'd rather upgrade to Satellite radio, and I'm told for it to be integrated, I need to move to MkIV, which I'm happy to do. I contacted bimmernav, but I guess they don't sell them anymore. For some reason, I thought the parts for the MkIII to MkIV was six hundred bucks or so, but the Stealer is quoting $2500. Plus, I'd like to get a recent rev, and I'm sure the Stealer will try to unload the oldest rev in their inventory on me. They tried that when I got Bluetooth installed. Thank God for bimmernav. Anyway, any advice?

Eric

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
rasputin said:
What's a typical price on an MkIV?
Eric
I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was less than $1000 for the MK IV and I was able to sell the MK III for $325 with it's NAV CD. So your guess of $600 sounds accurate.

I don't know if Martin from bimmernav.com (or something like that) is still selling them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rasputin said:
What's a typical price on an MkIV? I have a 2002 M5, build date 10/01, with an MkIII. My radio's died, and rather than just fix it, I'd rather upgrade to Satellite radio, and I'm told for it to be integrated, I need to move to MkIV, which I'm happy to do. I contacted bimmernav, but I guess they don't sell them anymore. For some reason, I thought the parts for the MkIII to MkIV was six hundred bucks or so, but the Stealer is quoting $2500. Plus, I'd like to get a recent rev, and I'm sure the Stealer will try to unload the oldest rev in their inventory on me. They tried that when I got Bluetooth installed. Thank God for bimmernav. Anyway, any advice?

Eric
Eric check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38653&item=7961621699&rd=1

Hope that helps
Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for this information - I'm currently going through the process of evaluating this upgrade. The 16:9 upgrade is not critical to me at the moment.

Just a couple of questions:

Did you upgrade from a MKII or MKIII (I assume the former due to the model year but just to verify) ?

Do you have the BMW OEM TV tuner installed? My concern is that if I upgrade my MKII unit to MKIV, I'll lose the TV ability which the kids like on the way to school ...

In terms of installation, I understand it's a straight swap although for our cars, it's more complicated due to unplugging the GPS ariel cable from another unit. Can you confirm this is what you had to do (and whether it was a real pain or not)?

I can source a MKIV from Ebay in Germany (since I'm in Switzerland) but before I start a bidding war, just wanted to make sure of the above (as best I can) ...

Thanks and Regards,

Gary.

hudson said:
I know it's not Powerchips or Brembo brakes or a hot clutch set up etc...... (all for which to come) but I installed a MKIV Nav Computer in my 00 today. It took about an hour and a half and went without a hitch. There's a lot of stuff in that corner of the car. The software loaded easily, the graphics are clear and is much faster then the MKII. Plus one DVD for North America. Next is the 16/9 wide screen monitor that I found on ebay. A great way to spend Saturday afternoon. :M5thumbs:

Joe

·
Registered
149 Posts
hudson said:

Joe
Wait so you are running the MKIV with the small 4:3 screen? wow I dodn not know you could do that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Did you upgrade from a MKII or MKIII (I assume the former due to the model year but just to verify
Gary I upgraded from a MKII to MKIV

Do you have the BMW OEM TV tuner installed? My concern is that if I upgrade my MKII unit to MKIV, I'll lose the TV ability which the kids like on the way to school ...
I don't have a TV tuner yet but from what I read it plugs in to the NAV computer with no problems

In terms of installation, I understand it's a straight swap although for our cars, it's more complicated due to unplugging the GPS ariel cable from another unit. Can you confirm this is what you had to do (and whether it was a real pain or not)?
It really was straight forward. Bimmernav.com has the whole procedure down with pictures. There are more things to move in our cars then in the pictures but it was easily done. The GPS antenna is on the module screwed to the back of the DSP amp. I loosened the DSP amp (don't unhook the wire connectors) and swiveled it out of the way. I left the GPS module screwed to the amp. Just unplug the the connector and tape it. Unplug the antenna and it plugs into the back of the new MKIV.

Good luck hope this helps
Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DIPLOMAT said:
Wait so you are running the MKIV with the small 4:3 screen? wow I dodn not know you could do that.
Absolutely, you can use both. Even in split screen mode. Course a 16:9 wide screen would be better.

Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks very much Joe, appreciate your helpful response. I'll now dive into the bidding wars for a MKIV unit (in fact, one went 9 minutes ago for 605Euros (US$850'ish).

I know that TimboLimbo auctions some and sells others (for US$949) - the ones he sells seem to have a guarantee with them. Plus he's only up the road in Germany :)

I'm not sure if it's a good price or not ... have to start doing my reseach :)

One final question (having just looked at ebay, sorry) - do you have to "code" them to make them work? I've noticed many units say "uncoded" (presumably country code) and wonder whether I'm forced down to the dealer or I can leave well alone ...

Regards,

Gary.

hudson said:
Gary I upgraded from a MKII to MKIV

I don't have a TV tuner yet but from what I read it plugs in to the NAV computer with no problems

It really was straight forward. Bimmernav.com has the whole procedure down with pictures. There are more things to move in our cars then in the pictures but it was easily done. The GPS antenna is on the module srcewed to the back of the DSP amp. I loosened the DSP amp (don't unhook the wire connectors) and swiveled it out of the way. I left the GPS module screwed to the amp. Just unplug the the connector and tape it. Unplug the antenna and it plugs into the back of the new MKIV.

Good luck hope this helps
Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
grp said:
One final question (having just looked at ebay, sorry) - do you have to "code" them to make them work? I've noticed many units say "uncoded" (presumably country code) and wonder whether I'm forced down to the dealer or I can leave well alone ...

Regards,

Gary.
Gary all new units are uncode (no operating system loaded). You have to load the operating system. I had V24.1 software that came with the unit with the DVD map 2004-2 of North America & Canada. You can buy the maps on ebay for about half the price. If you get the software you don't need to take it to the dealer. Put the disc in and it loads itself, real easy. I think you can go to Bimmernav.com and download the software. Have fun.

Hope this helps
Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts