BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a MKIII and have these symptoms this fix (might ) correct it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Symptoms:

1. Blank Screen with white lines top and bottom.<o:p></o:p>
  2. Radio and CD changer works along with buttons to operate but music shuts off after 2-5 minutes. Can be powered on and same thing happens again music shuts off.<o:p></o:p>
  3. CD is stuck in NAV.<o:p></o:p>
Reasons Why this happened:<o:p></o:p>
  1. You tried to upgrade to v26 with a hack splash screen or other non OEM files.<o:p></o:p>
  2. You tried to upgrade and the cd was corrupted and stopped mid way.<o:p></o:p>
  3. You replaced your battery and this happened.<o:p></o:p>
  4. You changed your radio fuse and this happened.<o:p></o:p>
Tools that you will need:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
FIX:
  • Unzip and extract all files to a destination you choose with WINRAR
  • Open Alcohol 120% and select burn from image, hit browse and select the folder you extracted to. Then select the file with the extension CCD and hit next. You will notice that 3 files populate with about 250mb. Hit next to continue.
  • Burn at 4x speed on a name brand disc, Memorex and better.
  • Explore cd to verify that it is readable, do this a few times and make sure it recognizes quickly by your pc and test open and folders or sub folders.
  • Go to your Beast and turn the key to the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> dial, make sure your stereo is off, remove key and close door.
  • Open trunk, insert CD then CLOSE TRUNK.
  • Go into the car and turn key to 2<SUP>nd</SUP> dial, Stereo should still be off.
  • Leaving key as is, exit car and close door.
  • You can wait but it is best to leave car behind for about 30-45mins and come back.
  • If this works your system will read update complete press okay to reboot.
  • I am free for lunch.
Your MKIII should have the newest version 3-1/63. This was a nighmare but just wanted to make sure members who encountered this has a step by step approach. Your NAV is not DEAD yet have faith and be patient.

:cheers:

DREW

Reactions: mzarif

·
Registered
176 Posts
his method worked for me... I and was in deeep s**t with my nav unit, im sure it will work for most of you

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone else tried this? I'm attempting it now, but while this instruction says to leave the key in position 2, other websites say to use position 1. Does it really matter?

·
Registered
201 Posts
NoMoreAutomatics said:
Has anyone else tried this? I'm attempting it now, but while this instruction says to leave the key in position 2, other websites say to use position 1. Does it really matter?
My concern is of the battery dying after 30 min. of running the DRLs while the firmware is loading.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Still Blank

DREW[/quote]

I tried this fix following the instructions to the T. I used a Sony CD-R. Tried to upload twice waiting 45-50 mins each time. Both times my nav screen stayed blank. Any suggestions on what I might try next?

Thanks!
Cam

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try another cd-r, I used memorex and it worked. also try burning at a slower speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know it has been years but the links seem to be down and the software is out of date it seems.

Any walk throughs on this process with new links & steps?

Thank you

<< Having issues with my MKIII unit

·
Registered
848 Posts
download v25 from here (dont try uploading anything newer in the mk3 or you'll have issues) Home
and use imgburn to make the cd and follow the op steps

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please update the links. I am in need of the update to fix the issues. My battery went dead and after checking on battery cable that was loose and all the sudden my GPS CD keep on eject and inserting about 3-4 times. Now my NAV screen went blank, but radio works and shut-off 3-5 minutes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi all. Could someone post the updated links for restoring the NAV and radio? I have the OP's symptoms after my after died. Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bump. Please help if you can. I have a NAV that won't turn on, but the screw. Is fuzzy, and the radio only stays on for about 5 minutes before going out.

This happened after the battery died.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
There is another procedure to reset but I searched and could not find. I know it is on the board somewhere.
This is not what you asked for but it is one of the better versions. If you don't know what this is PM me and I will explain.
View attachment 836618
Referring to this voodoo procedure?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/104721-radio-will-not-turn.html

A little different than problem here (radio cutting out after 5 minutes), but maybe something useful is contained in the old discussion. I would speculate bad amp, perhaps a call to Clemster is in order!!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
No the procedure is not voodoo or even voodoo like. The issue has to do with the unit losing power in the state just before sleep. It is something simple like disconnect the battery pull the fuses connect battery and start the car then replace the fuses, although I don't think that is actually what it is, just an example.

I believe it is in one of the threads on updating the mk III nav as this seems to be a MkIII issue alone.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
No the procedure is not voodoo or even voodoo like. The issue has to do with the unit losing power in the state just before sleep. It is something simple like disconnect the battery pull the fuses connect battery and start the car then replace the fuses, although I don't think that is actually what it is, just an example.

I believe it is in one of the threads on updating the mk III nav as this seems to be a MkIII issue alone.
This is the procedure the link refers to:

(1) Insert key but do not turn on ignition
(2) Turn on headlights (don't ask but it works!)
(3) Disconnect battery
(4) Remove fuses no. 7 and no. 41 from holder in glovebox
(5) Wait 5 minutes
(6) Reconnect battery & plug fuses back in

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Maybe that was it but it sounds more Voodoo than I remember. I am pretty sure the one I was thinking about had the car running when the fuses were plugged back in so the volts were raised by the ALT to slap the nav. Then again that might have been the warning of what NOT to do. I just don't remember but I am looking still. I have refreshed my mind on how to do updates etc on MkIII units with the threads I have already reviewed. Definitely worth trying though.

Since there is so much Voodoo in the update procedures maybe that link seems like not Voodoo in comparison when you remember it all which I don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts