BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys-
I am a brand new member (this is my first post. I purchased a 2001 TiSilver M5 about 2 months ago). So far I haven been able to find a lot of help from this forum and I am very grateful of the knowledge and wonderful community here!
Here is the problem I cannot solve:
My GSP (either antenna or nav computer) is malfunctioning. It wont display the correct position (about 100 miles off), and when I drive or turn, it does not register this movement on the map (However the wheel and gyro sensors seem to be working). The "secret" menu shows blanks for lat and lon under GPS status, tracking info has zero satellites found, and under sensor check gps status is: gps malfunction.

I have DSP in my car, so I switched the DSP coaxial CDchanger cable with the nav computer thininkg that the antenna and DSP may have been accidentally swapped, this did nothing.

My guess now is that the antenna is broken. I was planning on making the upgrade to the MKIV computer at some point anyway (this antenna is built into the computer, correct?). As replacing the GPS antenna on the MK III might be expensive and much more annoying.

Has anyone run into a similar problem or have any suggestions? Much thanks in advance.
Matt

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran into the same issue when I got mine.

Seems to me that MKI and MKII have the antenna cable going to the trimble unit which then plugs into GPS, or something like that. It's been awhile since I looked. MKIII and MKIV have no need for the trimble and the antenna goes straight into the unit. MKIV still has an external antenna.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks exproject-
What did you end up doing for the fix? Replacing the cable, or the antenna as well?
Did you have a shop or dealer do this (approx. cost?)? Or, can you point me in the right direction for a DIY?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Turns out my GPS computer was bad, caused this issue (I think) and a battery drain problem that took awhile to track down (Thanks StreetDragster). Does anyone have a MK3, MK4 computer in the CT area (preferably for sale) that I can test in my car to confirm this? I want to see if I can get a GPS signal, and check that the computer will go into sleep mode with the rest of the car, before I drop the 300-600 for a new computer. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts