BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post on the troubles I encountered from my install in case anyone else encounters the same.

I followed the directions posted in bimmernav.com, which are excellent. Removed the trimble device from behind the amp, plugged all the components in and 'voila' good to go.

Then, un'voila'. The system worked fine, booted up, even took the v30 upgrade no problem. But it would not pick up my location. My first thought was an antenna problem, but I decided I could do without it for the time being and I would just input my location and go from there.

I would input the location, it would find me on the map, and then every time I took a turn, it would track 180 degrees opposite. Very annoying.

I went into the 'special' settings menu, and found the following message: Ant Open - meaning that the antenna was not connected, which I already knew.

But it also said that the GPS unit was not connected, which concerned me because I was getting funtionality. I check on the forums (this one and x5world) and went through about 10 different things from taking the battery cables off, to reconnecting the whole system. None of these worked.

So I looked at the antenna pieces and noticed that on the trimble unit, the copper connection was male, on my MKIV it looked like it was supposed to be male, but there was no copper wire protruding inside the connection.

Being the impatient person that I am, I disassembled (re: destroyed) the trimble unit and removed the copper protrusion from the connector. After a few efforts, I placed the new copper connection into the female connector (the car harness for the antenna) and then connected the two together.

The antenna connected (with a short the first time) but I fixed that and encountered a new problem. When I went into the sensor menu, I had RECERR on the GPS sensor. From what I can understand this is an error you get when you are not recieving data from the satellites and occurs frequently when you have a different problem and correct it, but the system doesnt properly reset.

Thinking back to my experience with PC's, I used old reliable, control-alt-del. Only this time, it being a car, I disconnected the battery overnight.

I reattached the battery in the morning, drove around for about 15 min, and the system found my location - the error was corrected - and the almanac downloaded (the almanac tells your system the precise locations of the sattelites).

In short, since this was long, the system now operates flawlessly until my rigged connector falls apart. It is one of the best navigation systems I have used (maps and firmware are both at the highest level) and it got me to Chicago with no problems, but that is for a different post.

If you are having problems with your navigation system at all, I would do the following three steps so you dont go through what I did.

1. Upgrade the firmware
2. Check the antenna connection, the system does not function at all without it, even if you try to manually use it. If you suspect that the antenna is bad, get a different one (Radio Shack seems to be popular) or make sure your connection doesnt have the same issues as mine.
3. Disconnect the battery overnight

I hope this helps. Now I have to figure out what I can actually do with the thing since the bimmernav upgrade did not come with a manual.

-Kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bimmernav.com

i also upgraded the screen to a 16:9 and the radio to a BM53.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
110 Posts
I upgraded from a MKIII to an MK IV, and it took 20 minutes for the system to put me on the correct road. It may have been coincidence, but the satellite got my correct location when i switched between full and split screen. Works like a charm now. Next step is a software upgrade.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top