BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my S3 M5 earlier this year and drove it all through spring and summer and fall and really loved it. Now it's stored away in the garage but I'm getting the itch to drive it and its not even January!! Plus my buddy just picked up a 335xi and is already mocking me as his car is doing 4 wheel drifts through the snow. :rolleyes:

So since it's a S3 and only has 44k miles on it I was thinking I'd wait til summer to drive it again to keep it pristine. However, now I'm thinking maybe I should throw some winter wheels with blizzaks on it and drive when it's dry out. Especially seeing all these pictures of M5s in the snow having fun...makes me jealous!!!

Amy suggestions???

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Cristian, what do you drive in the winter?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yeah I'd say resist the urge - it will save your vehicle and then, come spring time; it will feel all the better.

·
Registered
147 Posts
An S3 with low mileage makes it a harder decision. I have no regrets at all about driving my beast in all conditions, all year around. Nothing like a trip home from work with long snowy drifts - a blip of the throttle will have the rears free and then it is just a delight to control the angle by small doses of torque... and the perfect switch to the next sweeping turn by a nicely timed liftoff and weight transfer...

Oh well, 2hrs29 minutes to next session.

Yea, I'd take it out. :biggrin:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also drive my M5 all year around. It's performing good in the winter and why drive with some other car when you can drive with M5:flag:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I only take mine out on dry days, and temps above 15 or so, if it is nice ans roads are dry I have no problem driving mine, when it snows or we get a storm atleast wait 3 days for the roads to clear and dry.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah I'd say resist the urge - it will save your vehicle and then, come spring time; it will feel all the better.
Its alright until someone slides into you coz their car isn't as good on snow!!!!.........leave in the garage!

Reactions: jselig

·
Registered
226 Posts
I only take mine out on dry days, and temps above 15 or so, if it is nice ans roads are dry I have no problem driving mine, when it snows or we get a storm atleast wait 3 days for the roads to clear and dry.
I may do this as well here in Michigan. Right now the roads are dry and its been at least 10 days since salt has been spread. A few occasional 50 mi drives may keep everything oiled up rather than sitting till March or April. Of course a warm water rinse at the car wash can keep the salt residue off the car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone ever had a problem with their M5 from leaving it in storage for a period of time? Start-up issues and whatnot? I only ask bc I have had mine parked at home for about a week. I'm from TX so it hasn't gotteen any colder than 36 degrees. But as soon as I return home I want totake it around the block to get the fluids running again, any proper methods in warming it back up? TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the same boat,mines been in a garage for a couple of mths now.
Went to see it today,all dusty and a flat battery!Snow has melted but the roads are a mess,the local council were spreading stone chips mixed with salt.

So tmrw the insurance is going back on it and its getting used,waste of a car just sitting there gathering dust.Going to be a restless nites sleep tonite,like a 8 year old on xmas eve LOL.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good input everyone. For those of you that drive it when it's dry only, do you put winter tires/wheels for those rides or just chance it with your summer tires? I should probably note I have Z rated tires so they are absolutely terrible in anything under 40 degrees.

Actually I started it up today and tried to back out of my barely inclined driveway with barely any snow on it and I couldn't make it. These tires are just rock hard in cold weather...and it was almost 40 here today!!

So I'm debating if I should get winter wheels even if I take it out for only dry runs...I dunno. Might be nice for those warmer March/April days too.

It's early winter too...dang.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts