BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks in my '07 (SMG with 49K mi) when I pull the upshift paddle the transmission doesn't respond. After two or three more pulls on the paddle, it will shift. It seems to happen more under hard acceleration, say maybe 6-8K RPM, but once or twice at lower RPMs (4-5K). It's driving fine and only an intermittent thing, but it clearly isn't right, and has lead to me hitting the fuel cutoff at redline a couple of times. I've tried the clutch recalibrate (shift to N @ ~60mph and pull both paddles while coasting), and while it does seem to be shifting more smoothly in general, I've still experienced the missed shifts. Any thoughts or other threads that I've not been able to find? Appreciate any thoughts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The only thing you can do now with out taking anything apart is go to the dealer or an indy that has the software and have the 3 step clutch adaption done. It takes 5 minutes to run. It re calibrates everything and sets a new clutch kiss point on clutch engagement. If there is a problem with the slave cylinder or PLCD it will show up. I do mine myself every 5K and I always notice how much smoother the clutch engages. As the clutch wears this seems to help readjust the engagement point and hopefully extend the clutch life.
One of the steps in this process has the computer select all 8 gears. It will be interesting to see what is says after running that adaption.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it misses the shift with the paddles, have you tried the shift lever? (Forward/Back, +/-) If it only happens with the paddles, then they are the culprit. I guess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it misses the shift with the paddles, have you tried the shift lever? (Forward/Back, +/-) If it only happens with the paddles, then they are the culprit. I guess...

Fair enough! No issues for the past few days using just the stick. Will update in a month or so +/- trip to shop for paddle fix (aftermarket warranty, thank you very much) if no recurrence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts