BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home from work randomly out of no where pulling away after a light change I hear my engine is rumbling and I’m losing power. I look down and see the SES light, so I pull over and turn off the car. Plug in my OBD and I get 3 of the following codes P1341, P1345, P1353 (multiple cylinders misfiring with fuel cut off) I didn’t clear the codes as I was going to bring it right to my Indy. I then restarted the car and the codes and SES cleared by itself without me resetting them with the scan tool. I’ve been driving it trying to get the issue to happen again but it won’t. I’m not sure where to start any input is greatly appreciated. P.S I have searched the forum for 2 hours regarding the codes shown and I’m getting a lot of mixed info on MAFs, CPS, plugs, coil packs, VANOS, vac leaks, ect. What’s my first step? This was a random first time issue that hasn’t occurred again YET. Car has 212k still pulls very strong Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
similar thing happened to me 2 times in a few years so far, always waited for it to become more consistent, never has. i would not worry too much, you could go beat on it for a awhile to see if it occur and everything acting right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Im thinking the same thing, just going to drive it hard like you said and see what happens. I just don’t want to start guessing and throwing parts at it when I can’t pin point the root of the problem.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Could be fuel pump starting to go. Also how old is your fuel filter? If unknown I would replace it. Cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be fuel pump starting to go. Also how old is your fuel filter? If unknown I would replace it. Cheap and easy to do.
I’ll def change the fuel filter, is there any obvious signs of the fuel pump on its way out?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Engine stumbling, feel of power loss, but those aren't specific. If you were feeling scientific you could drive around with a fuel gauge hooked up to the FPR.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pumps on the way out usually have the following symptoms. Stumbling, loss of power like you described, poor fuel econmy, cutting out while driving, struggling to start and so on. Mine kept blowing the fuel pump fuse in the trunk when it crapped out. I'd say replace the pump, filter and even the pressure regulator all at once. Even if it's not the issue, it still won't hurt to do with your cars mileage.

Has any other work like the cps, mafs, vanos, spark plugs, coils etc been done recently?
But yeah I say give the beast a good ol Italian tune up first. They love it lol.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Vanos was serviced once in its lifetime, no record of cps or coils...mafs and plugs were done a while ago probably do for some new plugs. The engine has treated me very well lots of recent work was done more to the chassis and drivetrain. I’ll report back after a few good ol hard runs. How do they like being bounced off the rev limiter? I never really push her up that high but close to it.

I drive this car daily and it’s like it just doesn’t want to quit. I’m hoping the ECU just had a brain fart or something because when I shut her down and restarted she was like “nah I’m good I got this” hasn’t repeated itself yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Vanos was serviced once in its lifetime, no record of cps or coils...mafs and plugs were done a while ago probably do for some new plugs. The engine has treated me very well lots of recent work was done more to the chassis and drivetrain. I’ll report back after a few good ol hard runs. How do they like being bounced off the rev limiter? I never really push her up that high but close to it.

I drive this car daily and it’s like it just doesn’t want to quit. I’m hoping the ECU just had a brain fart or something because when I shut her down and restarted she was like “nah I’m good I got this” hasn’t repeated itself yet.
Well I'd definitely look into getting those CPS done, they could be original for all you know. Plan on doing it to my car soon along with the TPS as well. Though I'm not looking forward to it because I know is they are a royal PITA to remove lol, especially on bank 2. Coils I wouldn't worry about too much. But if the plugs are due for replacing again, then it probably wouldn't hurt either.

Do you know when the Vanos was last serviced? May need to be again if it's been a really long time. I wouldn't really drive the thing that hard to where your bouncing off the rev limiter. A good trick I like to do as do many, is drive it on the freeway when there's not much traffic at 60 mph in third gear for about half an hour. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input cps and plugs are on my list, I like that 4K rpm highway run I do it sometimes but not for 30 mins. Gotta try it longer, She seems to like that. Vanos was done close to 90k miles ago. The engine idles so good and sounds amazing hearing the valves sing at high rpm. It really blows my mind everyday how the S62 still performs with 212k miles. I daily the car by choice. It’s hard to drive it hard without bringing attention I don’t want to get pulled over I’m running muffler/res delete with X pipe. So when I’m doing the 60 mph run in 3rd I feel like the guy behind me is like shift that MF lol and I deal with everyone and there grandmother wanting to run me. Good luck with the TPS. I try not to overthink stuff and enjoy the car for the age and mileage and give it the care it needs when she asks for it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like a good plan of action. I've had my car since September. It had 101k on it at the time and now has 104.5k. Wasn't much service history with it when I bought it, so I'm doing as much preventative things now to avoid future headeaches like the CPS and that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: After a few good ol’ Italian runs through Rome, Venice, Florence and Bologna, 😝 she’s doing great and pulling harder than a Teenagers JUUL with a mango pod..No hiccups and healthy!! Knock on wood!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts