BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My beast recently started running rough again (have had problems over a year ago and replaced CPS, Solenoid, installed the power chip to fix them). I pulled DME codes several times (with resets in between) and did some searching today to try find a solution quickly. Here are some details that hopefully will help find a quick resolution:

The misfires / rough idling is happeing some/most of the time - not every time.

Every time I pull codes I get
- 75 4b Inlet Vanos bank 2 retard,
- 74 4a inlet Vanos bank 2 advance valve,
- 113 71 inlet Vanos bank 2 function.

In some cases, I also get misfire codes etc. but I suspect these three are related to the source of the problem.

I suspect my issue may be related to the Solenoid or CPS but I know the knowledge here FAR exceeds what I have learned over the past few years and am always looking for other thoughts.

I plan to swap the solenoid to see if the probem moves banks as a start. If it does, I know where to focus my efforts and found a few posts on the solenoids vs. the solenoid boards etc. that I will further research.

Anything else I should be considering, looking at, trying?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you pull the solenoids, would suggest if not already performed, remove the small plastic screen filters around the solenoids.

The using brake cleaners, compressed air and a 9 Volt battery, clean and cycle all the solenoids. Once all the oil is out of the solenoids, you should be able to hear each solenoid click. If you have a DC Ampmeter, I would measure the current draw on each solenoid. They should all be about the same, as I recall with my 9 Volt battery, around 100 mA each?

Use a soldering iron and retouch all the solder joints and bridge the small gap with solder between the solenoid terminal and where the solenoid wire enters the circuit board.

Given you are possibly swapping board, I would at a minimum consider new O-rings. Not sure if you did Dr. Vanos rings before, if so, you may be fine. If the O-ring were never replaced, at a minimum get the cheaper dealer O-rings and install them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Both hit at the exact same time? Shared ground wire so have a close look. I suspect that instead of switching sides you just pull the one side and look for a electric failure on the ground wire side of the board you will find it. So bank 2 should be the left two noids. Lots of good threads recently you have an easy time with the info. here is one
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...full-blown-solenoids-peak-codes-included.html

·
Registered
147 Posts
Both hit at the exact same time? Shared ground wire so have a close look. I suspect that instead of switching sides you just pull the one side and look for a electric failure on the ground wire side of the board you will find it. So bank 2 should be the left two noids. Lots of good threads recently you have an easy time with the info. here is one
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...full-blown-solenoids-peak-codes-included.html

+1

Any problem with any solenoid seems to create codes for both solenoids of that camshaft at the same exact time, at least that is my experience with them. Both times I've had this issue the problem was one of the two little wires coming out of the solenoid being broken so while it is possible that there is an issue with the ground wire, only one solenoid is also possible cause for all codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts