BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Not been about for a while but back now...

Have an issue went for lunch yesterday car ran beautifully from beginning to the end of the drive....

Last night i started it and it immediately started misfiring drove it out of my drive and it went into limp so reversed it back and left it.

Read the codes and it just says cylinder 10 misfire - i cleared it but still misfiring... Ive had bad coilpacks /leads on my e39 m5 and the misfires were usually gradual as components broke down this was instant - any ideas where to start?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
First step in a misfire is to swap the ionic sensors and see if the misfire moves to the other bank and in your case, bank 1.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for your reply - are the ionic sensors what resemble the coilpacks? if so I have just moved from cylinder 10 to cylinder 6 waiting for my laptop to recharge to see if the problem has moved ... or does it have to go to a different bank?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
No the ionic sensors, one per bank, are located under the black bulging plastic covers on the top front of each head. Your fault would move to #5, bank 1 if the sensors were swapped and was the culprit. Easy and free to do and it's quite common to have these sensors cause a misfire. If they're good, then move on to the coil pack and plug. Swap the coil to the #9 and check for misfire. Still there then swap plugs. If still there then look at fuel inj. This process is simple and starts way out with the ionic sensors and keeps moving in towards the spark plug. It's easier than trying to start in the middle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts