BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
1,969 Posts
What I CAN tell you, is that if you have a misfire on 1 cylinder, mainly due to a bad coil, it will report codes on all cylinders. My guess is from the timing getting messed up.
I had a misfire on all 10, and my mechanic tracked it to a bad coil on #6. Replaced only that one, and it's been perfect.
Not quite... Tons of posts in the forum reporting single cylinder misfires. That's why people swap stuff between cylinders to isolate bad components. Did you read codes yourself or going by what the mechanic said? You sure all codes were fresh and not stored from a previous fault?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I didn't mean to make it sound like it would only be that. I'm just saying it's possible.
In my case, I reset the codes probably 15 times myself and monitored it very closely, which seemed to be pointing to a fuel issue, due to fuel codes and all 10 misfire. After I swapped out several fuel related parts, I just had a mechanic take a look, as a pair of fresh eyes, and he swapped out the #6. Been fine for about a year now.
Point being, just one bad coil can throw a staggering amount of codes.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts