BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased my M5 and was told by the out of state dealer that the rear tires had about 4mm left.. no biggy. I flew out and drove it home. When local dealership looked at it (less than 10 days of me buying it) they said there was 5mm .. So I took it in to a 3rd party service station where I service my 525xi for small things.
He showed me where my rear tires were worn down to the steel belts.. but only on the inside shoulder.
I called my dealership back to ask how the missed this. and here is where my question begins.

" I do not know why they did not see that wear, but you must understand that due to the way the rear camber is set, the inside shoulders wear down a lot faster than the outside."

now I know all the reasons for camber and but I have never heard of a standard street car having negative camber.
So is this standard on the M series? Or is it a sign that my rear struts are off causing rear tires to wear unevenly.

Thanks for any and all information.

upon further research it appears my car does come with factory set negative camber.
Question is re-word to can the tires on the outer edge still have 4 mm while the interior shoulder of the tire be worn down to belts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
on all my previous BMW's i had and issue with negative camber and tires being worn on the inside, but since the M5 on oem suspension with no mods the tires would use pretty equally i would say if you have 5mm on the outside it would be about 3-4 mm on the inside, if your suspension is dropped and the alignment wasnt done you would have this problem, get it aligned first, actually put new tires and get an alignment

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
I had the same issue but only when I dropped the car, before that my car had no camber and tires wore evenly so the dealer is talking bull to cover his back.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I recently purchased my M5 and was told by the out of state dealer that the rear tires had about 4mm left.. no biggy. I flew out and drove it home. When local dealership looked at it (less than 10 days of me buying it) they said there was 5mm .. So I took it in to a 3rd party service station where I service my 525xi for small things.
He showed me where my rear tires were worn down to the steel belts.. but only on the inside shoulder.
I called my dealership back to ask how the missed this. and here is where my question begins.

" I do not know why they did not see that wear, but you must understand that due to the way the rear camber is set, the inside shoulders wear down a lot faster than the outside."

now I know all the reasons for camber and but I have never heard of a standard street car having negative camber.
So is this standard on the M series? Or is it a sign that my rear struts are off causing rear tires to wear unevenly.

Thanks for any and all information.

upon further research it appears my car does come with factory set negative camber.
Question is re-word to can the tires on the outer edge still have 4 mm while the interior shoulder of the tire be worn down to belts?
FYI- Most, if not all, cars with an indepenant rear suspension will have some negative camber on both the front and rear corners.

Get new tyres and get the car properly aligned.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can look at my last alignment report from BMW on my M5 to confirm, but off memory the rear has around negative 1 degree camber. New tires and an alignment are in order, make sure you get a full 4wheel alignment not just the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for all the information

I am getting new tires and will have alignment done. It seems that negative camber is factory default.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Should have negative camber, BMWs tend to, but definitely shouldn't be at 5 mm on the outside and belts on the inside...hopefully the alignment takes care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts