BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, BMW finally got the reverse lights sorted.

A new wiring loom in the boot and a switch in the gear box resolved the problem.

However, the mirror tilt is still not correct.

When I put the car in reverse the mirror tilts upwards instead of down!!!
Therefore instead of seeing the curb to help me park, I get to see clouds and the odd plane!

It was also pointed out to me that when I adjust the mirrors, the switch has to be moved in the wrong direction for the mirror to go in the right direction!

for example if I want to tilt the mirror down I push the little jog thing up!?
If i want it to go right I push it left!!!

:grrrrr: :grrrrr: ??????

Obviously something is not right here. But I do not want to pay 2 - 3 hours labour for BMW to investigate.

So anyone got any ideas???

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
Steve.

Sounds like you need to find the nearest electrical block connector to the mirror and do wire swopping to me....

But thats all I can think of as I havn't been to that area on my car yet...

Regards Andy S

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
was this not in your fixing list ??
there is a pricefrom BMW to fix this, if it is an auhorized BMW work shop
then you pay a fixed price based on the 'AW'-system, -no matter- how long it
takes them to find out what's wrong, ask for the price BEFORE and PAY NO MORE !!
-
if this was on your fix-list from the start, they have to try again
with NO CHARGE for you !! to tell you it works the wrong way and the
mirror moving up instead of down is simply A BAD JOKE, my guess they do not
even know your car has that feature. :typing: :confused: ??????

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the same issue on my '98 M3 when I had some body work done and the mirrors had to be removed. It turned out that the mirror motor was mounted 180 degrees from its approriate orrientation when the body shop reassembled the mirrors. All I did was pop the mirror glass off, undo the mounting screws and rotate the motor 180. Then everything was in order again. hiha

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M5sedan said:
I had the same issue on my '98 M3 when I had some body work done and the mirrors had to be removed. It turned out that the mirror motor was mounted 180 degrees from its approriate orrientation when the body shop reassembled the mirrors. All I did was pop the mirror glass off, undo the mounting screws and rotate the motor 180. Then everything was in order again. hiha
I agree something appears to be the wroing way somewhere!!

However, when the BMW chap to the mirror glass off, the 3 screws for the motor looked like they would only go the way they came out!!

I.e The motor looked like it was mounted correctly.

I shall dig around more!

Thanks for all your comments.

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would take the cover inside the car off and look at the connection from the car to the mirror. Perhaps it is the wrong way around. I would also look at the connector for the movement switch for the mirrors. I know the clever bloomin' Germans usually only allow the connectors to go on one way round but it is worth a look. Maybe turning it around will allow the control to work properly.

Do not know about the reversing sketch.

Best of fiddling.

Pip

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have a related problem. My mirror tilting function has ceased to work altogether, but the reversing lights do work.

Any thoughts on the cause? Where should I start looking. Is it hard to get the mirror off to look at what is happening inside?

Thanks

Cheers

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Never mind! I did what I should have done in the first place and searched past posts and found a suggestion to flick the power mirror switch from side to side - so I did this - and I now have a titlting mirror again!

Amazing!!:7:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The mirrors are usually accessed by removing a small triangular cover on the inside of the door. Just prized away with screwdriver. Then there are generally three small bolts holding the mirror in place. Undo these and the mirror body complete is off. The glass is removed by tilting the mirror upwards and manipulating the release catch on the underside of the mirror.

As I am away at the moment I do not have the benfit of having my old M5 to look at but I think that is the basics.

Pip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts