BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, did a search and came up with nothing.

I noticed a while ago when I would retract my mirrors to the up position, my passenger mirror would pop when it came to the full-and-upright position as if the motor didn't know to stop. At first it was only one or two popping/grinding noises, but as time has gone on it has gone to 6+ noises after reaching the full up position.

I decided to not retract them from now on till I can find a fix as it's not of huge importance in my area. But, it is one of my favorite aspects of the M and would like to make it work properly.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
869 Posts
It sounds like at some point someone tried to turn your mirror up/down manually and stripped the gears. your best bet is to find a used motor an swap it out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey all, did a search and came up with nothing.

I noticed a while ago when I would retract my mirrors to the up position, my passenger mirror would pop when it came to the full-and-upright position as if the motor didn't know to stop. At first it was only one or two popping/grinding noises, but as time has gone on it has gone to 6+ noises after reaching the full up position.

I decided to not retract them from now on till I can find a fix as it's not of huge importance in my area. But, it is one of my favorite aspects of the M and would like to make it work properly.

Any ideas?

You need to get them both in sync. mine did the same thing a few times, so i pressed the button, and forced it to to 'lock' back into place. totally felt like i might be breaking something at first, but after it 'snapped' back into place I was totally confident that I did no harm. they have been working perfectly since then

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the glass portion of the mirror do anything when you fold the mirrors out? I don't have your exact problem, but on my driver's side mirror, the glass portion does a quick downward click motion about 8 times (lasts about 6 seconds in total) every single time I unfold the mirrors.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to get them both in sync. mine did the same thing a few times, so i pressed the button, and forced it to to 'lock' back into place. totally felt like i might be breaking something at first, but after it 'snapped' back into place I was totally confident that I did no harm. they have been working perfectly since then
Sounds like a plan. Can you elaborate on your steps to "lock" it back into place?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts