BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
00 E39 M5; 07 E64 M6; 11 E70 X535D
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mirrors are different the passanger is always dim and the driver and rear view mirror only dims when it is suppose too.

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
Take passenger mirror out and check cables first.
Also is not rare that these mirrors just get broken. Side view mirrors are not fixable like rear view mirror, so then put your hand to deeeep your pocket and buy a new one :)

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
It could also be a circuit board problem in the LCM module.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Also is not rare that these mirrors just get broken. Side view mirrors are not fixable like rear view mirror, so then put your hand to deeeep your pocket and buy a new one :)
Or contact Board member Clemster, who has a supply of used M5 parts.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: yellowgixxer

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
The LCM is in the passenger footwell under the side panel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Or contact Board member Clemster, who has a supply of used M5 parts.

Regards,
Jerry

He doesn't have any good mirror glass right now, I just asked about a week ago. He said most of the cars he buys already has shot mirror glass.

I'm in the same boat, my drivers side is bubbling and the passenger side is almost totally bronze so its not far behind.

·
Registered
00 E39 M5; 07 E64 M6; 11 E70 X535D
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked the cables several times now. I need to get a volt meter on it to confirm power, but they are plugged in and I believe correct. It is a brown and purple wire correct? What is the correct way they should be plug in?

The passenger side mirror is new and does not have any fading or bubbles like normal failure. It is just dim all the time. Is this something with the rear view mirror or with the LCM module?

He doesn't have any good mirror glass right now, I just asked about a week ago. He said most of the cars he buys already has shot mirror glass.

I'm in the same boat, my drivers side is bubbling and the passenger side is almost totally bronze so its not far behind.
As I mentioned to Mailman, the glass it's self is not broken, bubbling, fading. it is just blue all the time. I feel like there is another problem, but I am not sure where it is coming from.

It could also be a circuit board problem in the LCM module.
Anyway to test the module or just replace it?

Any other suggestions are appropriated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are 4 wires to the side mirror, 2 to heat and 2 for the dimming function.

Was the mirror blue before it was installed, or normal? Did it suddenly turn blue after being installed? It usually dims when energized, powered up, so is it now being powered all the time, being blue. Won't dim, be blue, with no power.

Some mirrors which don't dim come tinted.

From my understanding, it would seem that some of E39 M5s came with the passenger side dimming function being disconnected. Think I read somewhere. The heat and dim run from 2 different harnesses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts