BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say a big thank you to Stacy at Sybesma's Electronics (1-800-456-4265). I searched on the threads and found their info here. Quick turnaround and very friendly. They refurbished my 2000 M5 rear view mirror for $95.00, which includes the repair and shipping back to me.

I had the bubble in my rear view mirror and after reading a thread about the fluid leaking and destroying a dash and seats I decided to do the refurb NOW.

Thanks again to Stacy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have the home link option in your car?

I was told the Sybesma mirror replacement would not work or break the home link function.

Any one know if this is true or false?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
To my knowledge, it is just a refurb of the mirror you send in. so it should not affect the home link operation.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Good to hear.

Last I read, they were out of replacement mirrors and you now need to send in yours for them to repair and send back. Sounds like that is what you did.

How is driving without a rear view mirror? That is the only thing holding me back right now!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Where is this link you speak of?

·
Registered
252 Posts
To my knowledge, it is just a refurb of the mirror you send in. so it should not affect the home link operation.
Actually they send you a refurbed mirror, then you send yours back in the same box.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any pics on popping the mirror trim to find the serial number? I'm a bit hesitant to scratch up the trim and am not sure exactly where I need to pop it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quick Update:

Spoke to Sybesma this morning. They have mirrors that can replace the OEM mirror if you DO NOT have the homelink option (Allows you to open your garage door/gate). They can mail these to you, and will refund a core deposit when you return your faulty one to them.

If you have the homelink option, you have to ship your mirror to them. They will then call you once they receive mirror, request your credit card and charge it $95.00 to repair the fluid filled portion of the mirror only. They do not guarantee the HL option will function as they do not test this after the repair. However, from other posts I have read, there does not seem to be an issue from those that have had their mirror repaired.

I am planing on shipping mine to them and will update once complete.

If your interested, ship to:

Sybesma Electronics
C/O Mirror repair
581 Ottawa Ste 100
Holland MI, 49423

·
Registered
348 Posts
Still not getting what the mirror has to do with homelink? I installed the homelink transmitter in my car myself and it's not connected to the mirror at all, how are the two related?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Any pics on popping the mirror trim to find the serial number? I'm a bit hesitant to scratch up the trim and am not sure exactly where I need to pop it.

It's super easy to remove the mirror. Remove the plastic cover that splits in half(I recall pushing on the middle seam and prying apart carefully) and grab the arm of the mirror on the back and crank gently counter clockwise/push to the right and it twists off very easily.

Here is a pic of my serial number on the side of the mirror arm. The other pic shows what the metal bracket looks like that is attached to the windshield to give you an idea of how the mirror fastens to bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Still not getting what the mirror has to do with homelink? I installed the homelink transmitter in my car myself and it's not connected to the mirror at all, how are the two related?
Im confused as well. I need to get my mirror replaced and I have homelink, but its not integrated in to the mirror, as it is part of the upper console portion by the map lights. Are there models that have homelink as an integrated part of the mirror?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Im confused as well. I need to get my mirror replaced and I have homelink, but its not integrated in to the mirror, as it is part of the upper console portion by the map lights. Are there models that have homelink as an integrated part of the mirror?
The mirrors with the homelink integrated are not the usual oval shaped mirrors but the flat bottomed ones. These must be from the early model E39 M5's I'm guessing that didn't have the homelink built in near the map lights.

·
Registered
431 Posts
do they send / supply overseas....
mine just failed after parking in outside in hot weather, hasn't leaked anything nasty thankfully!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
do they send / supply overseas....
mine just failed after parking in outside in hot weather, hasn't leaked anything nasty thankfully!
I believe they will but the shipping cost will be pricey. It is best that you contact them directly. I looked into them shipping a mirror right to me in Canada and the U.S. since I travel to PA often and shipping was double the US cost to Canada. I got them to send the mirror to PA and I picked it up since I was going there anyway.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I just went out to my Z3 M Coupe this morning to run some errands and found a big bubble in the mirror. It's very similar in shape to the M5 mirror. Anyhow, called Sybesmas and they're happy to take care of it. Much better than buying a new mirror!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just spoke with Sybesma's. Parts are currently on backorder, and I was instructed to call back in several weeks to check. They will not take any mirrors until they have the parts to refurb them.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Just spoke with Sybesma's. Parts are currently on backorder, and I was instructed to call back in several weeks to check. They will not take any mirrors until they have the parts to refurb them.
They gave the same shpeel back in March, good to check back once in a while.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but I've got my OEM mirror with bubble if anyone wants it. I swapped to a homelink mirror (square one) so I have no use for the Oval OEM mirror.

I'll ship it to ya for $45 paypalled, any takers?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but I've got my OEM mirror with bubble if anyone wants it. I swapped to a homelink mirror (square one) so I have no use for the Oval OEM mirror.

I'll ship it to ya for $45 paypalled, any takers?
Not to piss in anyones post toasties, but isn't having a oval rearview mirror (like the outside mirrors) part of the wonderful distinction of having an M5 and not just your typical e39? :dunno: AFAIK, it's not that hard to get your M5 OEM one repaired. :goldcup:

·
Registered
431 Posts
yep, my 99 has a square miror so I would take it (the oval one) but mine's stuffed too so maybe I could get you to Sybesma it and then get it shipped....
Kinda convoluted?
paypal + repair ok???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts