BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on my first full year of ownership (01 M5 TiSilver). Setting up 2 detail projects for spring. First is to buff out the front headlight covers. Have seen a great thread on this one.
Looking for suggestions/steps for minor scratch removal. Willing to take the time and certainly want to add value than cause more damage along the way.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
All you need with Scratch-X is a soft terry cloth towel (It is in a large plastic tube about 9inches long). I carry it in the trunk, just in case ... (I am anal). If I see a new scratch (no swirls on my car), I get it out and rub with one finger in the towel ... eventually, it all goes away ... given that it hasn't gone through the paint. So far, so good. Doesn't help with the rock chips, though. If you don't have metallic paint, Lanka is great for rock chips.

I just remembered, I used it as well on my black 318 ... a BIG (3 x 5") splat of bird sh!t sat on the paint for about 2 hours in the hot sun. The paint was etched, and appeared to be unrepairable without repainting. I worked on it for about 3 to 4 hours ... It was totally gone when I finished.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you're removing scratches, use a machine. Scratch X is good by hand, but I've found it has fillers in it and the scratch will eventually re-appear. Depending on the severity, I use 3M Fine Cut (deeper), or 3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze (not as deep). If you can feel it with your fingernail, forget about it, its not coming out. You could lessen the look by rounding off the edges, but it'll never completely go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts