BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and cannot pin-point how to appropriately term this oil leak...see pics below. It seems to seep out some from underneath the screws...can I just unscrew these and replace whatever seal it needs? Or (and this is a long shot) are these somehow spring-loaded and tied to the vanos head units somehow and require more detailed attention? seems like # 4 & 5 in the depiction below are what I need? :confused::1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Looks like your gromets are leaking as well as the valve cover gaskets from the first pic.... but on the second I cant tell if its oil that spilled or is leaking from up higher... best bet is to really clean up the engine oil then when new oil spots sweat or leak you can better determine were its coming from.... also your oil separator hoses look like their is oil residue on them or they are just that old and maybe leaking but from the pic they look like its caked on in spots...

on second thought your valve covers can be leaking more than normal and spraying up on the separators and caking on it....

let us know how you make out...

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input gents!

Mfizzle, yeah the separator hoses I replaced a while ago - they still feel firm and not squishy - but the gunk you see is from the bar-code sticker glue...good eye though on the valve cover gaskets!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Dont forget to replace all grommets as well.. And most important if your gonna DIY be verycarefull when removing the gaskets the aluminum in the heads is extremely sharp...

It's also very soft for example don't stick a flat head to pry off the gasket you will cut into the aluminum on the head...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Looks to be a weeping valve cover gasket. The half moons (where the bolts sit) are known weak spots for the gaskets. Spray some brake cleaner, identify where the leak is coming from, then get to work. If you do take the cover off, I'd be interested to see color inside, along with type of oil used and mileage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same problem at the same areas, guess there's a lot of oil being thrown around up front. After replacing the gaskets and grommets those bolts still leaked. Found the bolt head wasn't sealing well to the washer, being a metal to metal surface. I took the offending bolts out, cleaned them up and put some sealant between the bolt head and washer. Over 10k later still dry. When you take the leaking ones out, pull down the grommet and washer, you'll see how oil has been wicking up the bolt shaft.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all for the help! looks like i have a weekend DIY i can try to picture catalog and post up here. Now to order the parts...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts