BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a couple issues going on with this wonderful vehicle I bought from a fellow board member. :typing: Searched previous posts and don't see any similar issues addressed so I thought I would turn to you all for some wisdom and experience.

1. As normal, the steering wheel begins to move into place as soon as I place my key in the ignition. If I wait until the wheel has stopped moving, the car starts normally. If, however, I try to start the car while the wheel is moving into place, nothing happens. If I then try to start the car (after the wheel has stopped but after I have already tried once while it was moving) there is no response at all (no noise, nothing) and the car doesn't start. In order to start the car then, I have to remove the key completely and start over. Is this normal? Why is this happening?

2. I occasionally get "check headlight" and "check hibeams" warnings when I start/stop the car, but the lights are working fine. What does this mean?

3. I get a warning when the temp outside drops to +37F. Does everyone get this warning? Any way to change the warning temperature?

I'm totally stoked to be a new M5 owner, and looking forward to your wisdom on these issues, thanks in advance! :santasmile2:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey guys! I have a couple issues going on with this wonderful vehicle I bought from a fellow board member. :typing: Searched previous posts and don't see any similar issues addressed so I thought I would turn to you all for some wisdom and experience.

1. As normal, the steering wheel begins to move into place as soon as I place my key in the ignition. If I wait until the wheel has stopped moving, the car starts normally. If, however, I try to start the car while the wheel is moving into place, nothing happens. If I then try to start the car (after the wheel has stopped but after I have already tried once while it was moving) there is no response at all (no noise, nothing) and the car doesn't start. In order to start the car then, I have to remove the key completely and start over. Is this normal? Why is this happening?
Hmm im not sure about why your steering moving in to place would cause it to not start. But the recycling of the ignition is normal. Meaning, for example, if I tried to start the car and it didnt start up, I would have to recycle the ignition (All the way off and then on again) to get it to start.
2. I occasionally get "check headlight" and "check hibeams" warnings when I start/stop the car, but the lights are working fine. What does this mean?
Have you checked all the lights, and made sure the connections are good. This issue can be simple or really complicated. I would check the lights and connections. LCM (Light control Modules) Have been known to be problematic in these cars, that could be a possibility. I once had a car whos fuse box under the passenger seat was soaked in water, caused alot of weird issues with the lights. Are you running any aftermarket Hids or anything of that sort?
3. I get a warning when the temp outside drops to +37F. Does everyone get this warning? Any way to change the warning temperature?
That is normal! I get that same warning. I am not sure about changing the temperature

I'm totally stoked to be a new M5 owner, and looking forward to your wisdom on these issues, thanks in advance! :santasmile2:
If these are all the issues you have with this car, than it seems like you made it. Post some pictures!!! Congrats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right truekid. I am lucky, bought from a great previous owner who is active on here and he took great care of this car. I still need to look over everything closely, but so far things are great.

Planning on doing a proper photoshoot soon and then will post some pictures. :)

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
Not sure about #1. Possibly something in the ignition switch?
When you go from "on" to "start", a bunch of electrical circuits get interrupted so there is full power for starting. Whatever circuit the wheel is on is being interrupted but then not being told "ok to continue". Other than ignition switch contacts, not sure where the internal contacts would be for the steering wheel adjustment. I never really noticed in my car, but waiting an extra second while the steering wheel adjusts wouldn't bother me too much. I would probably simply adjust my style to the car on that one unless you have the time and $$$ to investigate further.

As to #2, could be a problem with the ballast. But the light should be out when the warning goes on. You may also want to remove the bulbs and clean all the contacts. Intermittent contact will also trigger a warning (not sure how long maybe 3-5 seconds?).

As noted, #3 is the "freeze impending, be careful" warning.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
658 Posts
You're right truekid. I am lucky, bought from a great previous owner who is active on here and he took great care of this car. I still need to look over everything closely, but so far things are great.

Planning on doing a proper photoshoot soon and then will post some pictures. :)
I want in on this photoshoot ;)
Copy and post the pics in the "for-sale" add. They look pretty good.
IIRC, #3 can be coded off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As the others have said, #3 is normal.

I am not sure if #1 is due to the steering wheel moving up and down but I do have the same issue, I will have to try it out some time. My M5 is also an 02. I have always had a lot of trouble staring my M5 because I expect it to have an automatic starter like my 01 e38. With the e38 you turn the key to the crank position and let go of the key, it will crank the engine until it fires up. The M5 is like most plebeian cars and you have to hold the key until it starts. There so many similarities to the feel of starting the e39 M5 to the e38 that I couldn't get over my mind that I had to hold the key in the crank position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts