BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the owners manual suggest that neutral be selected when stationary to minimise wear on the clutch, or can you just treat it like an auto at the traffic lights, leaving it in gear? Won't leaving it in gear accelerate clutch wear? My Lambo e-gear came with a recommendation to select neutral when stopped, and this has got me wondering if I'll need to do the same with the M5 when it arrives.

TIA for any responses.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I would have thought the clutch would get more wear by switching back & forth to neutral everytime you stop at a light. I'm sure the transmission is designed to take into account everyday driving situations like this. Don't forget the car even has the hill-start feature for when you're stuck in traffic on a slope.

Perhaps the Lambo engine was too powerful and not as sophisticated compared to the M5.

Of course, if you're a Launch Control Junkie then don't expect your clutch to last long :hihi:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Leave it in gear in now problem as I have found on my 2 E46 M3's and CSL. You will probably use clutch more when you do 2 or more launch controls.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Dan is right, the friction material isnt the issue with the clutch. It is good practice to put a manual in neutral and clutch out, but in the end you will most likely wear the friction material away before the throwout bearing goes. When a clutch gets replaced, prudence dictates the throwout bearing gets replaced too.
To minimize clutch wear I would use gentle starts, and not romp around in S6 all the time. Of course that isnt fun, but there is a inversely proportional relationship between fun and clutch life in most applications.
:cheers:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ashok Arora said:
Of course, if you're a Launch Control Junkie then don't expect your clutch to last long :hihi:
In 25,000km, I've never tried the launch control with the Gallardo. Seems too much like mechanical abuse. The step off with a quick jab on the throttle is quick enough anyhow.

Can't wait to try the M5!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
BmwNut said:
Dan is right, the friction material isnt the issue with the clutch. It is good practice to put a manual in neutral and clutch out, but in the end you will most likely wear the friction material away before the throwout bearing goes. When a clutch gets replaced, prudence dictates the throwout bearing gets replaced too.
To minimize clutch wear I would use gentle starts, and not romp around in S6 all the time. Of course that isnt fun, but there is a inversely proportional relationship between fun and clutch life in most applications.
:cheers:
I agree and would just add the obvious: judicious use of LC! :thumbsup: It always felt in our SMG2 M3 that it would go into N when you came to a stop- and would reengage on start. The display would read "1" all the while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts