BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(2 E60 + 1 E39)^M5 :thumbsup:

An impromptu meet came together last night, couldn't resist the opportunity to see the E60 M5's in motion and together for the first time. Even though it was a relatively short drive for our group to get to the picture venue, I already sensed what these cars are capable of - the noise, the way this seemlingly heavy sedan just squats and flies off in warp mode.... simply lost of words :flag:

Some picture highlights from the meet. The cars consist of: one E60 in Silver Grey/ black, E60 M5 in Silverstone/black, and E39 M5 in Carbon Black / M-tech alcantara.

Enjoy!

/k

p.s. more pictures below!

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Mini M5 Meet in Hong Kong - First ever!

Nice shots! what colours are the cars - and all the same option/specs? Any Individuals? Bit hard to tell with street lighting.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hi sydl, I edited my post with details above. HKG cars only come with the same options, most of everything with the exception of NAV and HUD :)( ). HUD would be nice to have given it's usefulness in M-sport mode. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts

KRM said:
...HUD would be nice to have given it's usefulness in M-sport mode.
So you can't have an M5 with HUD in HK? Can you spec it as an option?

·
Registered
89 Posts

KRM said:
HKG cars only come with the same options, most of everything with the exception of NAV and HUD :)( ). HUD would be nice to have given it's usefulness in M-sport mode. Thanks.
The cars in Singapore come in with HUD and NAV. Seems odd not to have HUD with the M5. Many think it is a must have feature.

Frankly, if the authorities in Singapore allow HUD, there is no reason why any other in the world would reject it. Furthermore, your local distributor is Sime Darby; the same company that distributes our BMW cars here.

·
Registered
71 Posts

sydl said:
So you can't have an M5 with HUD in HK? Can you spec it as an option?
Actually it's quite ridiculous that Hong Kong transportation department won't allow Head up display because of safety reason.

The HUD actually enhanced safety, you don't need to take your eyes off the road to know your rev and speed.

But some idiots in the governement office believe otherwise, they believed they know better than BMW R&D department. The reason because many accidents involved with those Civic and other rice rockets have aftermarket HUD equipped, so they correlated the HUD and the car accidents. In actual fact, the real cause of the accidents are not because of the HUD, it's their driving.

Actually many years ago, Hong Kong won't allow adapative headlights because it will endanger the on comming traffic.

Hong Kong's DMV is the most pain in the *** department in the world. We missed out a lot of new innovation and technology.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the clarification, William. I guess I am not very updated with the new rulings of the HKTD.

/k

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

/K, is the blurry picture of the E60 in Silver Gray Metallic? I like the blurry photo. Cool.. most likely taken from a moving car with a slow shutter speed.

Am I correct. Very nice even if it was unexpected: :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jim, that's correct, that car is in Silver Gray. Wanted to take some motion pics with me standing on the sidewalk and M5 driving by. Slightly "blurrier" from what I expected, but nonetheless I like the effect. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts

KRM said:
Thanks for the clarification, William. I guess I am not very updated with the new rulings of the HKTD.

/k
Yes and I am not contend with my M5 simply because I don't have all the options I wanted. The only way around it is to buy the car directly from UK and ship it back to Hong Kong and register it. But I won't have warrenty.

If a country like singapore allow such option, there shouldn't be any reason why Hong Kong can't allow.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

Karman and Gary,

Beautiful photo shoot! Glad to see that you guys are representing well in HK. See you two there in February.

'Rocket

·
Registered
4,246 Posts

Wow, amazing photos Karman. Beautiful cars and skyline, makes me miss HKG.

Gary:

How do you like the M5? Can't wait for a full review and synopsis.

·
Registered
255 Posts

wow great pics! I hope my uncle who works for Sime Darby (BMW Body) can detail the cars one day! lol:biggrin:

·
Registered
180 Posts

TCM said:
Wow, amazing photos Karman. Beautiful cars and skyline, makes me miss HKG.

Gary:

How do you like the M5? Can't wait for a full review and synopsis.
seems to be a good car so far... but the exterior needs some modifications... :1:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Rocket M5 said:
wow great pics! I hope my uncle who works for Sime Darby (BMW Body) can detail the cars one day! lol:biggrin:
Rocket, I will actually bring my car to Shatin sometime before Xmas to fix dings, painchips, etc. and get the car thoroughly detailed. Do you mind providing his contact there? Many thanks.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

Shame about the HUD rule but great stuff nonetheless :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts

Hate to bring this up, HK still doesn't have their maps digitized for GPS to work? How lame!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Eric said:
Hate to bring this up, HK still doesn't have their maps digitized for GPS to work? How lame!
Porsche and Mercedes already have the Map DVD for Hong Kong.

Creating a map software is not difficult because the technology is already there. The problem is the road infrastructure of Hong Kong makes it difficult to create precise map data. For example, most roads in Hong Kong parallel to each other is too close for the GPS to locate exactly which road you are on. Even with dead reckoning, you get at least 30% margin of error. That's why Porsche and Mercedes version are not very accurate.

Unlike US and UK, the map can be easily done since roads are spread out enough for the GPS to locate exactly where you are. Hong Kong is too small and dense. The amount of resouces needed to create a perfect map can't be justified in such a small market. That's why even China have GPS software way before Hong Kong.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts