BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forgot to put the m on a charger when she went into storage this winter, and i figure ill need a new battery come spring, does anyone have any experience running a mini battery in these beasts and shaving some weight off the *** of her?

what are you running, and how are you mounting it?

thanks

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I was running a Odyssey PC925 VRLA battery with no issues. It weighs a little over 20 pounds. Because it is smaller it does have a lower reserve/Ah capacity so it will not take well to lights being left on, listening to the radio while cleaning the car, etc. It has plenty of cranking amps, though, but repeated starts without sufficient recovery time could leave you with a flat battery. Furthermore, you will find you almost have to always attach a tender (I use a BatteryMINDer) if leaving the car for more than a few days because of the reduced capacity. Peter (herrubermensch) uses a Voltphreaks battery; this is on my list. As far as mounting it I just filled the space with a closed-cell foam block. I suppose you could use the space as alternative storage.

-Josiah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts