BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or uses Millers Oils. I have stopped using castrol and now use Millers 10W60. I spoke to Millers on the phone and they say the oil is suitable for the M5, has been tested on it and can even be mixed with Castrol TWS. Best of all is the cost, £31.45 for 5L or £7.80 for 1L. I have done 1000 miles with the millers oil and used approx 2 litres (My car is 1999 with 116K miles on clock and used mostly round town so oil consumption is a little high). If anyone else has used millers oils let me know. Website is http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Paul.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BISPAL said:
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or uses Millers Oils. I have stopped using castrol and now use Millers 10W60. I spoke to Millers on the phone and they say the oil is suitable for the M5, has been tested on it and can even be mixed with Castrol TWS. Best of all is the cost, £31.45 for 5L or £7.80 for 1L. I have done 1000 miles with the millers oil and used approx 2 litres (My car is 1999 with 116K miles on clock and used mostly round town so oil consumption is a little high). If anyone else has used millers oils let me know. Website is http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Paul.
I do not like their Millers Lite product. Seriously, I would use caution substituting oils in the M5...especially a relative no-name product. Does it really have all the necessary certifications and approvals or is the lube mfr simply recommending you try it? Such recommendations scare me.

edit: I see they meet most specs. This product is not common in USA, so I know nothing about it.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BISPAL said:

Paul.
Isn't Mobil 1 available in your area? I would pay the going rate for Castrol or resort to mixing Mobil 1 viscosities to achieve something close to 10W-50 before using a no-name. The Mobil 1 15W-50 can be lightened up a bit for cool-to-moderate climates by using a quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 or 5W-30 with it. Mixing similar formula is OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you notice any reduction in oil consumption rate compared to Castrol TWS?

Millers are apparently a very good company. I've been looking through the technical specifications and comparing them to Castrol TWS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi trashcan,

Consumption went from 1L every 500 miles with Castrol to 1L every 3,000 miles with Miller, car ran better, smoother and was a big improvement, can't believe people were so against it! If people want to waste money its their business..... I sold my M5 4 years ago, hope yours is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks BISPAL,

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Unforuntatly there appears to be alot of mis-information surrounding this subject and alot of knee jerk reactions to putting in anything other than the BMW Main Stealer stuff.

Thankyou for your response

Trashcan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a lot of research at the time and spoke to Miller themselves whi actually developed their oil for V8 cars using the M5! Its also a very successful racing oil supplier. I had to sell my M5, had lots of other problems, all electrical, engine management system, maf sensors, sat navs etc. is yours reliable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had mine very long but at the moment it's OK.

When I bought it it needed a new O2 sensor but that was it. It had a full BMW service history, 1 owner from new and appears to have had anything done that needed doing, including a new VANOS bank at some stage. I've had to replace the MAF on every BMW have had anyhow, so this prob won't be any different :)

We'll see how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts