BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that most of you keep real good tabs on every aspect of your M5. My question relates to mileage. What are you seeing in town vs on the highway? Hold on, I know we all have different driving styles, but with this car I cannot fathom someone not driving with a "spirit" foot in general. This is the first car I have owned or will soon own(July) that I had to pay a gas guzzlier tax on. What idiot government official came up with this one? Oh sorry, wrong board!

By the way, what is the difference between driving with super unleaded vs regular? I know it requires super, but has anyone had to use regular?

Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) is responsible for the gas guzzler tax. I don't know why they (IRS) were the ones to come up with it. Seems more like something the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency, for all the Europeans who are not familiar with our abbreviations) would come up with.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My numbers are about 13.5/16.5 city/hwy.

Those numbers aren't "pure" though; my driving is really mixed. So my car probably does a little better than 16.5 on the highway and a little worse than 13.5 around town.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i dont drive like a idiot but i do run it hard alot.. i am getting 18.3 combined based on the onboard computer.. i have changed the exaust and am using k&n air filters. (the car has the dinan software upgrade as well)when new,, i drove the car from louisville ky. to houston tx ,,, avg of 20.2.. 13.5 hrs total time.....
Originally posted by MWM:
My numbers are about 13.5/16.5 city/hwy.

Those numbers aren't "pure" though; my driving is really mixed. So my car probably does a little better than 16.5 on the highway and a little worse than 13.5 around town.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I commute 40 miles each way and this covers some stop/start, 50-60mph stuff and 5 miles of 80-90mph if I'm lucky ... for this I get 18.5-19.5mpg.

I recently had a 200 mile run at mainly 85-95mph with a quick spurt to 145mph and still saw over 19mpg. I think this is pretty impressive ... the AC doesn't seem to have much effect on mileage either (I guess that's not surprising given the torque of this engine).

Always run with premium octane given the 11:1 compression ratio. I think BMW recommends 92 or higher octane so running with less could be detrimental. I've never tried it, but I would think that even though the engine management system would try and compensate you would still incurr "pinking" (don't know the American for this but its the tin can knocking sound when you set off), lower power and possible "running on" when you turn the engine off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My average was 13.4 before I reset the computer. Since then, I have been only driving around town and have 11.4.

The computer will attempt an adjustment (probnably to timing and spark curves) to handle lower octane fuels. Depending on the level of octane, this may or may not prevent PINGING. Even if it did overcome pinging, power output would be significantly reduced.

Dan

·
Registered
195 Posts
When down at the Spartanburg M5 experience, I reset the mileage and checked it after about 45 minutes and I had achieved 8 mpg ... a useless piece of trivia that bears no relation to driving your own car!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback on mileage. I can see from the posts that you all are veryyyyy concervative drivers!! Thats what we like to hear. But seriously, thanks for your reply.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only have only logged 600 miles in mostly a mix of freeway and surface streets here in LA but thus far, the mileage is 11.9 mpg.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had my car since March 7th, and have logged approximately 5500 miles. I drive fairly aggressively both around town and on the highway. I've averaged 17.4 Miles Per Gallon according to OBC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have done around 40000km in mine over the past 11 months. In good highway conditions I seem to get around 12.9 l/100 km (over 20mpg) and over the life of the car average gas been 14.1 l/100km (20mpg).

It gets better as the engine loosens up and certainly uses less oil too.

Andrew E, Australia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts