BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an M5 for a while. Just got a call from a local dealer that he is getting in an '02 with only 3K miles on it. I put a hold on it sight unseen.
Apparently owned by a very rich guy who always owned about 8 cars at a time.

Think there is a down side to a car being driven so little over 3 years?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Not really if all that is true. Is it cpo'd? If so if it's got what you want take it and run if the price is good.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I expect it would have more wear in the engine than a car that was freshly delivered with the same mileage but driven more frequently, but it's still going to have less wear and tear than a significantly higher mileage car, especially on the things like seats which wear not so much based on mileage but how often someone is sitting in them. When engines sit around, the oil drains off the cylinder walls and other parts so startups are harder on them than those driven more frequently. Other than that, it may not have been driven enough to find mfg bugs and may not have had all the service bulletins done so insist on going thru that list and try to get CPO warranty. Overall, I'd say go for it. :M5rev:

·
Registered
136 Posts
well i'm new to the M5 scene, but on older ferraris, low mileage is a no-no. of course the M5 is relatively new that nothing has really rotted, but having a car sit is generally not a good thing. all the soft components (seals, rubber) and even electricals rot. i think 3500 miles/year minimum was the concensus of the FerrariList. and ideally never sitting for more than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
fess said:
I've been looking for an M5 for a while. Just got a call from a local dealer that he is getting in an '02 with only 3K miles on it. I put a hold on it sight unseen.
Apparently owned by a very rich guy who always owned about 8 cars at a time.

Think there is a down side to a car being driven so little over 3 years?
Sounds like a "garage queen"! They can be trouble. An engine that sits for so long can develop internal corrosion (rust) on lifters, camshafts, etc. That can translate into significantly greater engine wear, and far shorter engine life.

As with many other mechanical devices, engines like to be run. The more frequently the better. Cars that sit are cars that break down. Ironically, higher mileage cars (and airplanes) often have fewer problems than the ones that sit undriven and unflown. Caveat emptor! :nono:

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts