BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car (2001 European model) is approaching 210,000km (130,000 miles) and is running smoothly, with the exception of some electrical problems. I've been trying to take good care of it and have not had any serious problems with the engine or other major parts. I replaces most of the rubber gaskets on the engine and other elements some 3-4 years ago and some parts which were mentioned as possible problems on threads here.

What is your experience? What mileage do you have on your cars and how long did the engine last without a need of a serious repair?

·
Registered
129 Posts
109500 miles (2001 car) I’ve replaced the thermostat main coolant hoses, radiator and viscous fan but apart from servicing I’ve never been inside the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
102000 miles ,,,2003 ,,supercharged it at 55000 miles in January 2012,,
Did the following prior to supercharged :
Thermostat,,replace all coolants hoses ,,replace radiator ,,replace all hoses under plenums,,waterpump,,fan clutch ,,clutch and flywheels,,fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator,,alternator,,,starter,,all suspensions undercar,,engine mounts,,short shifter,,valves cover gaskets,,RMS rear main seals,,change all fluids in car,,Evap under plenums ,,I hope I did not forget something
Car running excellent,,and pushing 485hp at wheels.

Thank you-

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im at 197xxx miles and she’s daily driven, bought her in March at 186xxx. Pulls like a train and I’ve been picking away at some deferred maintenance from PO.

·
Registered
497 Posts
... and @170K no major work on my motor. Original guides and bearings. I think the fact that it drinks 10L of oil between oil changes means it's always had fresh oil!

·
Registered
213 Posts
137kmi on mine. Just did a full tuneup and sent the oil out to Blackstone, everything is looking great internally. Original guides and bearings. I change my oil every year or every 4000 miles, whichever comes first :)

-C

·
Registered
457 Posts
178k miles on mine - bought with 109k 6 years ago - put 100 miles on it couple of times a week generally. All engine is original apart from usual sensors and maint.

Uses maybe 1/2 litre of oil every few K.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just hit the 124 000 miles and I do all my maintenance and never had internal work done other than clutch
Used to be my daily driving car and put 90000 mile in 12years

·
Registered
66 Posts
2002 sold to Clemster with 237K...
R. - she's now in my hands, after I totaled mine a couple of weeks ago (2000, 148K miles, was running strong but an oil burner).
The car runs fantastic and the engine is incredibly devoid of valvetrain or other noise once warmed up - I imagine it will run better once I replace the stuck-open thermostat!
I had Adam swap all of the new flywheel/clutch/shifter-bits/driveshaft (new guibo and CV in installed) and my seats and door panels into your old beast before I got it from him last week.

She's an incredibly strong and nice running and handling car for 237K miles!

Thanks for taking such good care of her!
(sent you a PM a few days ago)

Back story: I wrecked my 2000 because I was on Mich PSS tires , it was a bit chilly, and I had DSC OFF. Car got loose on acceleration onto the highway and felt like it was on ice after that. Spun past and around a Prius I was following, going across his bow backwards, he drove by me on my passenger side just before I hit the guardrail with the driver's side of the car, going backwards. Probably going 30mph max.
Lesson learned - if you're on summer Ultra performance tires and it's below 60, just leave the DSC ON!!! Stupid move that resulted in a car that still ran great and drove fine, just a totaled body.
Adam is parting her out now.

:grin
Cheers,

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'm at 282,000 miles. Lots of regular maintenance and sensors, etc. but no internal work.

Unfortunately, in the grand scheme, it's a crap shoot. Rod bearings and timing chain guides can go at almost any miles beyond 150k, with plenty of stories of failures sooner. If the car is running great and you have mechanical sympathy, I would keep going without opening the engine. That said, you might want to pull the lower oil pan occasionally (maybe every couple of oil changes) and inspect for chain guide pieces. A sure sign they are degrading and need replacing.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
2002 sold to Clemster with 237K...
R. - she's now in my hands, after I totaled mine a couple of weeks ago (2000, 148K miles, was running strong but an oil burner).
The car runs fantastic and the engine is incredibly devoid of valvetrain or other noise once warmed up - I imagine it will run better once I replace the stuck-open thermostat!
I had Adam swap all of the new flywheel/clutch/shifter-bits/driveshaft (new guibo and CV in installed) and my seats and door panels into your old beast before I got it from him last week.

She's an incredibly strong and nice running and handling car for 237K miles!

Thanks for taking such good care of her!
(sent you a PM a few days ago)

Back story: I wrecked my 2000 because I was on Mich PSS tires , it was a bit chilly, and I had DSC OFF. Car got loose on acceleration onto the highway and felt like it was on ice after that. Spun past and around a Prius I was following, going across his bow backwards, he drove by me on my passenger side just before I hit the guardrail with the driver's side of the car, going backwards. Probably going 30mph max.
Lesson learned - if you're on summer Ultra performance tires and it's below 60, just leave the DSC ON!!! Stupid move that resulted in a car that still ran great and drove fine, just a totaled body.
Adam is parting her out now.

:grin
Cheers,
It went from one good guy to another, as it should be with a car like this. See, I don't part all of them out!

·
Registered
570 Posts
154000 and still going on my '02. No major engine/electrical issues. I don't get to drive as much in the last six months since my career change. I'm a hotshot driver and I'm on the road all the time now.

Bought my truck with 81xxx miles on it at the end of March. It's now at 136xxx miles. It may pass the M5 before the end of the year. LOL

1 - 20 of 60 Posts