BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was deployed overseas my car was sitting and only fired up every so often by a friend. When I got back I noticed the start of a mildewy smell, and noticed that the rear drivers side carpeting was soaking wet. I guess a door seal leaked on me. I tried airing it out but the smell is still lingering. Any suggestions on remediating the smell and any lingering mold or mildew spores that might have gotten into the floor carpeting?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
You are close to member "Clemster" in MD. He should have a lot of interior carpets. It may be your best bet to contact him about a replacement carpet and change it out (also the foam underneath). Also, and obviously, you need to change your vapor barrier between the door panel and the door.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Member UkraineE39 recently posted what lies beneath. I'd focus first on the water that's trapped, and the water that can still enter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's all dried out now. I dried the car out thoroughly and used a bunch of DampRid. Thanks for the post by UkraineE39 to check out, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are close to member "Clemster" in MD. He should have a lot of interior carpets. It may be your best bet to contact him about a replacement carpet and change it out (also the foam underneath). Also, and obviously, you need to change your vapor barrier between the door panel and the door.
Thanks, I actually talked to Clemster the other day about some unrelated issues! I already had the vapor barrier changed out on the door and door panel. I appreciate the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts