BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you have been watching this thread, about the selling of my beloved M5

So what's my new beast? Well here it is...sort of.

So I'm happily on my way down to the small exotic car dealership where my new beast is ready and waiting, having just settled on a price with the sales guy. We hagled for over a week, and I was well satisfied with the deal. just as I was on my way out the door, another sales guy from the Chevy dealership called.

I had been in there nosing around a few days earlier, looking at new C6's. He says he's got something he needs to talk to me about. Thinking he wanted to take another shot at selling me a new C6, I told him thanks but no thanks, I already made my decision. He asked me what my decision was and I told him. He asked if I would be interested in something that would be about $15-20K less expensive, and then he said something that really got my attention: 500HP, 7.0L, 7000rpm.

Then he emailed a link to these photos:

His logic was pretty convincing: I should not buy right now, but rather secure an option to take one of these new Z06's when they hit the street in May-June this year. If I decide I'm not interested, no problem. I can always find a good 996TT somewhere. If I do take delivery, I will have what will arguably be one of greatest sports cars ever built, while at the same time I saved a bunch of money.

So that's what I did. I'm #8 on the Z06 list now.

No M5. No 996TT. No new beast at all. For the next 6 months, it's just me and my daily driver, a Honda Accord.

It's gonna be tough.

Any of you guys care to weigh in on this decision? A New C6 Z06 and a bunch of cash in your pocket or a used 996TT?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think what you did is smart. Struggle abit but your wait will pay off :M5thumbs:

I struggled 2 years waitng for the M5 97-end of 99 and im glad i wainted instead of going for a new GS400 or 540i (best options at the time)

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I would go for the porsche no matter what color it was!

B

·
0 Posts
I think you made the right decision, but as I have said before, I am not a Porsche guy.

If I was spending the money, I would have gone for a Ferrari F355.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
After reading the original posts, I thought it would be a C6. I was surprised to see the thread open with a P car. I am a big P car fan, but I think the General has finally gotten the hang of building cars for car guys. The numbers speak for themselves. The only thing is the General usually takes a year of so to get it right. So I might have worked a deal to "float" my spot on the list, letting people "jump over" me till I was satisfied the major bugs have been worked out. I suspect you can do that if you can muster enough patience!!
I say good choice, it will be an absolute screamer, serviced at any Chevy dealer and there will no doubt be REASONABLY PRICED goodies galore to add on. 500 hp is just the baseline! :wroom:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mike,
Have fun continuing to wait and build-up expectations to an awesome new car purchase! I think EITHER race car is the right way to go actually, AND, your yellow color choice is perfect. Enjoy... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I think you made the right money vs performance decision. I have not been a fan of Corvettes in the past, mostly because of the lack of reliabity and poor overall build quality. Not to say that BMW doesn't have there own issues at times as well.

I think the new Z06 would be a great car, if purchased in the second year of production. I could never stomach the issues that seemed to get worked out with the second year run as opposed to be the quality control guinea pig with the 1st year runs.

Good luck with that purchase,

Mark

·
Registered
400 Posts
These are both admirable machines, worthy of pride in ownership.

For me personally, it would come down to the question of which would I rather own, a Chevy or a Porsche.

I would have to go with the Porsche, even in Canary yellow, which by the way, looks pretty nice from the pictures. The Porsche styling appeals to me more, and I'm German, what can I say.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Either way looks pretty nice, but if you're stuck in a Honda for six months you're going to at least need to slap on a supercharger kit to make it that long. :haha: BTW, the C6 Z06 will easily handle a stock TT...something about 500hp/475lb-ft carrying only 3130 lbs. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Personally I would opt for the Porsche (maybe sooner than I expect), not taking anything from the Vette, but the P-Car is in my opinion a more finely put together car without the loads of plastics everywhere.

Porsche is my choice, and the color is awesome!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well I respect your decision, Mike. I bet the TT sales guy ain't a happy camper :grrrrr: . Anyways, I'm wondering how such you're about May/June timeframe considering you're #8 on the list.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Greco said:
Personally I would opt for the Porsche (maybe sooner than I expect), not taking anything from the Vette, but the P-Car is in my opinion a more finely put together car without the loads of plastics everywhere.
Hmmm...since there isn't a production C6 Z06 to judge, where do you arrive at your conclusion? (from the C5 I assume?). It is still hard to understand how the 996TT is carrying around 400 lbs more weight than the C6 Z06 until you see what the Vette engineers have done with such things as carbon fiber hood and front fenders, etc... On the track, it will be no contest as the Z06 will run away from a 996TT easily. The TT will have to be bumped up to at least 560hp to get the same power-to-weight ratio and then it will be still carrying a 400lb penalty. All that said, it would still be hard to pass on the 996TT for an everyday car however.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mike,

May I ask what price you settled for the speed yellow 996tt, and what MY is the tt?

Other than the wait, you have everything to gain by deferring the tt purchase now, as the 996tts are still dropping in price, so when the C6-ZO6 comes out, you can choose either one and still pay less than what you're paying today.

Both ar great cars. There's no looser here. Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
After being used to German engineering for a while, I think it would be a little difficult to come back across the pond. I would go for the 996 Turbo. But if all-out performance is what you are looking for, the Z06 would be it. I saw the C6 at the Washington DC auto show and thought it looked nice, but the finish wasn't there. The whole rear section (where the tailights are mounted) is plastic. You can push on it and it just dimples in.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Congradulations no matter what you do, for as is stated (multiple times) above, you really can't go wrong.

As for my opinion, the Porche all the way...for the same reasons I never considered the Cadillac CTS-V when I was shopping for my used M5.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
KevinM said:
As for my opinion, the Porche all the way...for the same reasons I never considered the Cadillac CTS-V when I was shopping for my used M5.
Yeah, no kidding! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
95 Posts
That Z06 will be a absolute monster the last one had numbers capable of making short work of the P-9. Thats an overstatement but high 3's low 4's to 60 and ive heard of high 11's in the quarter. They say this one will trap at 130 in the quarter!!! I hear 65 grand to start not to mention an affordable aftermarket. Ive driven the 996 to almost all of its limits and it is an excellent car but there is something to be said about the rear drive experience (I guess i Dont need to say that on this board) that cant be had in a 996 unless we are talking gt2-3.. With the launch of 997 there will only be bigger drops in the prices of those 996's so you will have your work cut out for you. A quick sidebar; Did you see Rides with leno a few weeks ago? they sent Jay a 427 from the new ZO6 and he twin turboed it! hiha hiha hiha Dont turbo that car and race anything zzzzz Nothing will step to it for some time to come. over 1000hp no sweat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts