BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after moving from my 2008 to a 2010 in November, I received a promotion and a move.... so I now find myself living in Houston where the roads are (for lack of a better description), complete sh*t.

I find myself focusing more on the potholes and other road obstacles than looking ahead and paying attention to traffic.... I ran a stop sign yesterday because I was so focused on not bending a wheel.

So.... I may be leaving the M5 for an X5 M.... the M5 is my most favorite car Ive ever owned (obviously since I sold one and bought a newer one immediately). I'll miss it, but the X5 M just makes more sense in Houston. With all the oil money in this town, you'd figure they could afford to pave some damn roads!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Avi8tir, welcome to Houston. Did I see you at the January Cars and Coffee? Saw a white one that was modded quite a bit with a white interior, black rims and CF steering wheel. Don't sell the car, the M5 can handle the roads here no problem.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Having never been to Houston I am surprised. I live in Ohio where the roads get destroyed from repetitive freeze thaw cycles.

With OEM rims you should have no problems. I have only had one bent rim (a 20") but that was only because the road was cut and not back filled or even marked as road under repair

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it depends on what part of town you have to drive in. I'm in Katy, and the roads (for the most part) out here are good. However, I get a little nervous driving down Richmond, Post Oak, and in that area when I'm in the Porsche. The M5 is still new to me, so haven't had the bent wheel issues (yet). But I would agree with Ron.....keep the car. Might just have to figure out a way to avoid the potholes. And if you do end up getting rid of the M5 you might take a look at the Cayenne TT. I traded in an 04 for the M5 last month. The 04/06 years have some known issues, but understand they were fixed with the 08 (no Cayenne's in 07). Already being a Porsche owner I'm sure I don't have to talk you into another Porsche!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I really can't imagine any roads in the U.S. being worse than Michigan, as the long winters really destroy them.

The X5M is an amazing car, you have great taste, but I wouldn't let potholes and the fear of yearly wheel repair keep me from an m5! :dunno:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I drive the M3 on Boston's terrible roads, and as long as you take the potholes slow and do your best to avoid them in the first place, you should be completely fine. I personally have never had a problem. I do see the appeal of the X5 M, as SUVs do feel much better over potholes, but I would not sell a very nicely modded 2010 M5 for one....it is just to special a car.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
X5M will be even worse with the runflats. Just be honest and say you want a new car :) I do the same thing and my wifes raises the BS flag...... :-0

·
Registered
431 Posts
Putting the EDC in Comfort mode will help. The road here in CT are bad as well, but comfort mode eases the harshness a fair bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nothing wrong with a X5M or a X5is. They are both nice rides and they will move down the road..., you will still have to watch out for the pot holes no matter what you drive.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Avi8tir, welcome to Houston. Did I see you at the January Cars and Coffee? Saw a white one that was modded quite a bit with a white interior, black rims and CF steering wheel. Don't sell the car, the M5 can handle the roads here no problem.
Nope, wasnt me...

All I have to compare to are the roads in Orange County, which are flawless.... so, to me, this is hell! I live near Rice so I'm constantly on Richmond/Westheimer/Kirby etc etc. Its not really just potholes, there are massive bumps in the road that seem to pop up out of nowhere... hard to describe, but if you are familiar with the area, you know what Im talking about.

I know I could just throw my stock wheels back on and not worry about it too much, but thats not me. I figure I can get an X5 M, get some 21" HRE P40L's on it with enough tire height to protect the wheels.

Here are some pics I took this morning after a quick wash.... and 1 of its big brother! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Come to Minnesota for a while right after a winter. Houston won't seem too bad after that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm constantly on Richmond/Westheimer/Kirby etc etc. Its not really just potholes, there are massive bumps in the road that seem to pop up out of nowhere... hard to describe, but if you are familiar with the area, you know what Im talking about.
This is where I live as well, and know exactly what you're talking about, but it's never been enough to keep me from getting an M5. In my 550i it's only horrible in the right hand lanes due to the buses, especially along Westheimer and around Shepherd. I make it a point to always stay in the left lane which it's completely fine, you just have to put up with the occasional person making a left turn during traffic. Most of Kirby was recently repaved (be glad you just moved here and missed that construction nightmare) and the rest is being finished up, which must be the part you are referring to.

However Houston was built on a swamp...so potholes are only natural. The X5M is a stunning car (and next on my list after the M5) but don't be discouraged from keeping the beast, there are tricks to make the roads bearable :) Whichever way you decide to go I'm sure it will be right for you, and either way, welcome to Houston!

·
Registered
188 Posts
New York City the roads are the worst.

Reactions: shezmon

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Come to Minnesota for a while right after a winter. Houston won't seem too bad after that.
+1 Pot holes are Horrendous here hate em, I have been to Houston b4 and roads are way better the n anythin in the Midwest i have seen.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nope, wasnt me...

All I have to compare to are the roads in Orange County, which are flawless.... so, to me, this is hell! I live near Rice so I'm constantly on Richmond/Westheimer/Kirby etc etc. Its not really just potholes, there are massive bumps in the road that seem to pop up out of nowhere... hard to describe, but if you are familiar with the area, you know what Im talking about.

I know I could just throw my stock wheels back on and not worry about it too much, but thats not me. I figure I can get an X5 M, get some 21" HRE P40L's on it with enough tire height to protect the wheels.

Here are some pics I took this morning after a quick wash.... and 1 of its big brother! :)
/quote]

Ok, you are right, some of those roads are pretty bad. Nice big brother. Nice wheels on the M as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very nice pics......gotta love when a tough decision is whether to drive the 911 or the M5...and when the weather is nice there's always the decision about the convertible....decisions!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
With all the oil money in this town, you'd figure they could afford to pave some damn roads!!!
+1
You could also black out the OEM's, or get a set of M6 wheels backed out or something in 19" (the car would still look good). It will get better, but what you are suffering from, is not going to heal by changing the car. I have said this several times in the past; Driving on Houston roads is like playing Atari. You have to constantly watch for Bumps and you'll be all over the road.
I have the same problem, and no matter what I drive, I'm annoyed by pot holes. I am trying to avoid pot holes even if I am driving a piece of junk!
Changing cars will not help you, but having one of those babies in my garage, I know how you feel and why you want to end the torture!
On the plus side, you will still be a part of M community!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Whoa, those are the worst looking roads I've seen! Yikes! At first I thought you were making excuses, but man! Those streets look like shiet!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts