BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking it would be fun if we did something like what the east coast guys are doing:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/us...ly-cheesesteak-run-saturday-may-7-2011-a.html

this sounds like fun.

anyone interested in doing something like this in the Midwest? if so post up your ideas and we can decide on a fun destination. lets keep it to something that could be done in one or two days over a weekend.

starting point for me would be Chicago
and I am open for anything that would be ~8 hours or less from Chicago starting out on a Saturday morning. this would give me time to return home on Sunday at a reasonable hour.

we could make multiple stops along the way or whatever people want to do.

I would probably take my wife and kids along for the cruise as well unless they decide not to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm definitely up for this. I'd bring my wife along if she'd be up for it (sorry no kids yet). I know you IL folks love to come into Wisconsin and go to Lake Geneva or Door County? Perhaps a run up there for the weekend?

Or if we want to get some MN people we could make the weekend run from Chicago - Milwaukee (that's where i am) - Minneapolis? I'm open to ideas.

Maybe a late summer timing, so we can get some traction here with a good crew, and some solidified sponsored stops?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we're going to Timmayfest, looking forward to it. I was thinking something more local and more of just a drive to one or more cool locations over 1 or 2 days.

my wife and I enjoy driving and enjoy seeing new scenery and whats more fun then doing it with a group of M5's

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely up for this. I'd bring my wife along if she'd be up for it (sorry no kids yet). I know you IL folks love to come into Wisconsin and go to Lake Geneva or Door County? Perhaps a run up there for the weekend?

Or if we want to get some MN people we could make the weekend run from Chicago - Milwaukee (that's where i am) - Minneapolis? I'm open to ideas.

Maybe a late summer timing, so we can get some traction here with a good crew, and some solidified sponsored stops?
not sure where the MN people are located but I would figure they would want to do some driving as well. we could have two groups one from MN and one from Chicago/Milwaukee and then set up a central meeting location (maybe someplace halfway in between?) then we could travel as a bigger group to 1 or more other locations.

I guess our route plan would depend on who wants to join in and where they are located.

Green bay might be a good meeting spot as it is 5 hours from Minneapolis and about 4 hours from Chicago then we could head up to the UP. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
WI has some great roads, i.e back roads I use to ride them all the time on my motorcycle some of the best sweepers I have been on are in deep WI, with not that much patrolling I would consider that as a meeting point somewhere. I would be interested in coming from here, I was actually thinking of getting something setup for MN / WI riders (oops I mean drivers) for a day of M5 GTG

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like the idea of WI back roads too. As far as meeting places/stopping points, it would be fun to do a tour/tasting at the Leinenkugel Brewery (they don't give you enough beer to get drunk so we could still drive after.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WI back roads sounds good. Chippewa Falls is about 5.5 hours from me. we could meet up with the Milwaukee guys in Madison and then head up there to meet up with you all.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Lets work on getting something together, maybe Mid of May sound good, I know many are travelling to Timmayfest in Mid of June

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm good at the end of may for a WI m5-fest.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe around May 21/22 or 28/29?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Dyno Day?

My friend owns a reputable shop in Green Bay Beyond Redline :: Performance Center. We could set up a dyno day there if that was a desireable meeting spot.

I'm up for anything that my schedule allows, just thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'm up for that in gb. not sure what a dyno day is though?

my vote would be a get together may 28-29 somewhere. how bout the rest of you?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maybe around May 21/22 or 28/29?
28/29 is the weekend before Memorial day, I'm actually travelling for a wedding to CA, also that weekend is bad just because of higher patrolling on the streets, thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
28/29 is the weekend before Memorial day, I'm actually travelling for a wedding to CA, also that weekend is bad just because of higher patrolling on the streets, thoughts ?
hm you have a point about that. heavier traffic and more patrols at least at the beginning of the weekend and the end. in the middle it can be lighter for both but it all depends.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
i'm up for that in gb. not sure what a dyno day is though?

my vote would be a get together may 28-29 somewhere. how bout the rest of you?
I guess there is no definite definition for a dyno day, we just call it that when a group of guys all get together at the same time to get thier cars dynoed for a discount. Usually it's 3 runs, sometimes there can be prizes for highest hp, etc. Just a fun day thing. If you've never run your car on a dyno it is an inexpensive way to get a baseline.

We are looking to tuning software for the shop to do our cars and other BMW's but it wont happen for awhile, as it's cost prohibitive right now. If/when that happens, we can all go up for custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I could help do some planning for roads in the area, I have been in WI setting up Eurowerks drives.
Nice, i have a llot of routes and some maps we can get together and get something planned. i have not been on the back roads since I sold my bike but I know the roads are the best to open up on and have a blast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the sounds of where this is headed. Should we push something off for a weekend in june then?

·
Registered
223 Posts
June gets busy with Timmayfest and stuff.

Does May 21/22 work? We can avoid any extra patrolling/traffic that Memorial Day may bring.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts