BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back on Friday after a full refresh that Phil offers at CPC. They rebuilt the entire bottom end, the whole timing chain front end, and the VANOS is fully rebuilt with new parts all round.

All I have to say is... WOW!!

Crisper throttle response, crisper sound from the Tubi, Smoother power delivery, and an all round feeling of tightness and newness. The car transformed and I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks Phil! :)

It's all in at around £2.5k. Do it! :) :)

They found 2 of my big ends were already spun, so my engine hadn't got long to go before it ate itself. She's done 150,800 miles, so seems fair enough. I'm off for a big European road trip in the summer and now she feels ready to spank all the way down the autobahn... :) :M5launch:

Cheers!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow - were they actually spun or just a bit worn!? Got any pics? Spun = proper shagged :)

Great to hear you sorted it. I know what you mean with the feeling of tightness.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 of the bearings turned out to be spun, but there were no symptoms. Just luck I got it done before anything worse happened :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice re-fresh!

Interesting how Phil can do it for 2.5 when the parts are already that amount to do the job proper....
Dude - you are the God of all things M5 and no one can match your expertise or skills. Shame you have no concept of the word 'professional'.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Dude - you are the God of all things M5 and no one can match your expertise or skills.
I would not say so.

Maybe I came across a bit harsh.

With proper I mean every chain and chain guide/tensioner changed,the oil separator hoses,return hoses,diaphragm springs,Vanos bolts,t-stat(if older than a year),water pump(if it is the first one still installed),...changed.

I usually have around that amount only for spare parts when doing rod bearings and chain guides.
This is why I was wondering how it is possible.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not say so.

Maybe I came across a bit harsh.

With proper I mean every chain and chain guide/tensioner changed,the oil separator hoses,return hoses,diaphragm springs,Vanos bolts,t-stat(if older than a year),water pump(if it is the first one still installed),...changed.

I usually have around that amount only for spare parts when doing rod bearings and chain guides.
This is why I was wondering how it is possible.
Thanks for explaining Raiku. Those are fair points. I will ask Phil if he can give me a precise break down of the parts, but off the top of my head, the hoses, the t-stat, pump etc are all fairly, or very recently done anyway, so to my knowledge it was just the chain parts, the shells, and the key VANOS parts which can't be refurbed and reassembled. I guess the discrepancy in price depends on how anal the owner has been with their car over the years. I've obsessed over mine for over 9 years now, and a lot of the parts were already quite new!

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any pics of the spun bearings, how many miles on the engine at this point?
They took some pics for me, but I haven't got them yet.

As stated in the original post, the mileage at that point was 150,800.

For the first 5 years, the oil was changed every 3000 miles or 3 months.

Since I bought her with 75,000 miles on her, she's had oil changes at least every year, and/or 5000 miles or so.

Both the original owner and I have both made the most of the engine's high red line though, so she has not been treated gently by any stretch of the imagination. She's also delimited and has been maxed out on the 'bahn many times, so the engine has worked hard for its living :)

I'm seeing Phil tomorrow for the follow up health check/VANOS test etc, so I'll try and get some more details......

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So in my layman's terms, the new parts comprised the bearings, bolts, timing chains, guides, VANOS shims & a few other new bits Phil gets from the OEM suppliers. It's 2.5 day's labour on top. It's exactly what it says on the tin - a VANOS, Timing Chain & Big End refresh. Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts