BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My car is telling me that the microfilter needs replacement.

I would much prefer to undertake the task of swapping out the old microfilter myself. The only issue I have is in relation to re-setting the service indicator. Is it possible for me to reset the service indictaor for the microfilter or will I need the dealership to do it?

I suppose that i can always swap the microfilter and then have the dealership where I buy the filter from reset the indicator as they will be the oens selling me the item.

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi everyone.

My car is telling me that the microfilter needs replacement.

I would much prefer to undertake the task of swapping out the old microfilter myself. The only issue I have is in relation to re-setting the service indicator. Is it possible for me to reset the service indictaor for the microfilter or will I need the dealership to do it?

I suppose that i can always swap the microfilter and then have the dealership where I buy the filter from reset the indicator as they will be the oens selling me the item.

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim.
I just had mine replaced at the dealership.... i believe it was 350 bucks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
this is the simplest thing to do your self. there is a thread on here on how to reset the indicator as well. the filters are cheap, like around 60 for both. do it your self.

Reactions: Brisbane M5

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the simplest thing to do your self. there is a thread on here on how to reset the indicator as well. the filters are cheap, like around 60 for both. do it your self.
sattman,

Thanks for your assistance mate.

I will order the part from Pelican Parts and look up the DIY regarding the reset.

Again, thanks mate.

Tim.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sattman,

Thanks for your assistance mate.

I will order the part from Pelican Parts and look up the DIY regarding the reset.

Again, thanks mate.

Tim.

NO ONE should pay to have this done. I did it in 20 minutes with one hand (I was holding my daughter with the other) and I took photos. $90 US for the filters vs. $255 for the dealer to do it. It will be the easiest money you could ever save. The trickiest part is resetting the service interval, which is still pretty easy. Both of those DIYs are easily found on m5board or other 5 series boards.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NO ONE should pay to have this done. I did it in 20 minutes with one hand (I was holding my daughter with the other) and I took photos. $90 US for the filters vs. $255 for the dealer to do it. It will be the easiest money you could ever save. The trickiest part is resetting the service interval, which is still pretty easy. Both of those DIYs are easily found on m5board or other 5 series boards.

Excellent work. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Bentley has published an E60 service manual. The M5 is not covered by the manual, but the microfilters are the same :lightbulb:<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oX0jqT6IAVc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I got the filters at Rockauto.com for $25 for both made by MANN filters, This is the company that makes filters for BMW (same for the engine oil and air filters). If you notice the BMW filters have the MANN logo on them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the filters at Rockauto.com for $25 for both made by MANN filters, This is the company that makes filters for BMW (same for the engine oil and air filters). If you notice the BMW filters have the MANN logo on them.
I suspect that these filters were non-carbon. Bear in mind that not all of the filters, even the Mann filters built to factory specs, are activated carbon filters. This carbon essentially provides chemical filtration in addition to mechanical filtration. There are noxious chemicals in the air that can get through a standard filter that would be scavenged by an activated carbon filter. The standard filters are less expensive than activated carbon. I'd recommend spending a few extra dollars to get that extra level of filtration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts