BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it the Porsche 'N' fitment simply refers to the fact that Porsche have tested the tyres on their cars, not that the tyres are specifically made for them.

If the load rating is correct is there any reason why we can't or shouldn't fit the Porsche fitment Pilot sports as these are now the only ones available in the correct sizes?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Hi Dan ,

I vaguely recall this being discussed in the past .

Personally , I would have no issue fitting the correct size with the correct load rating , regardless of the Porsche fitment .

D

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I vaguely remember that if you had a Porsche without the "N" rated tyre and anything happened it would invalidate the insurance

See no reason as to why it would ill affect our cars?

Justly my tuppence

·
Registered
164 Posts
As I understand it the Porsche 'N' fitment simply refers to the fact that Porsche have tested the tyres on their cars, not that the tyres are specifically made for them.

If the load rating is correct is there any reason why we can't or shouldn't fit the Porsche fitment Pilot sports as these are now the only ones available in the correct sizes?
Dont worry about man..i have a set of michelins ps2 NO tire ....but they didnt fit on my m5....if they fit on yours go ahead they are awesome tires

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I can't see why there would be a problem with them myself but there was a thread a while ago when someone called Michelin Norway and was told NOT to fit Porsche fitment PS2's to his M5. They even advised fitting a tyre from an other manufacturer.

Just wondered if there was more too it (special bead shape or something?) I know that would make fitting them to aftermarket rims a problem if you owned a Porsche.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I recall being a part of the thread earlier this year that was discussing this very thing. But unfortunately don't recall the outcome of that discussion. :( Also can't recall the thread title...

·
Registered
128 Posts
It does not impact the handling of the car. I completely broke away from the PS2's. I am running a set of BFGoodrich KDW2's. They are for lack of words amazing tires. Before on the PS2's I would get a lot of traction loss on take off and some slipage in the bends. With my kdw's I can push them as hard and fast as I want and have better handling on corners and a lot more grip on launch. Not to mention wet weather handling.....however in snow and ice they are by far the worst tire i have ever seen. I cant wait for summer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It does not impact the handling of the car. I completely broke away from the PS2's. I am running a set of BFGoodrich KDW2's. They are for lack of words amazing tires. Before on the PS2's I would get a lot of traction loss on take off and some slipage in the bends. With my kdw's I can push them as hard and fast as I want and have better handling on corners and a lot more grip on launch. Not to mention wet weather handling.....however in snow and ice they are by far the worst tire i have ever seen. I cant wait for summer.
I can report that PS/2's solved SO MANY problems on my car - I was quite shocked at the difference, the car no longer follows it's own route on un-even surfaces.

I don't know what to believe regarding the N fitment / marker; some tyre places (including Michelin UK and costco) said "you don't want those on your M5 sir", others have said they are fine and just a rating - nothing different.

my vote for worst snow / ice tyre ever was the Toyo TR1's that I had on before the PS/2's.... standing start on snowy M25 last year = wheel spin in 5th with no throttle applied (ie just tick over). never again.

this was the thread I started last year about this .... http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/147001-ps-2-discontinued.html
(last posting on the first [page is relevant)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can report that PS/2's solved SO MANY problems on my car - I was quite shocked at the difference, the car no longer follows it's own route on un-even surfaces.

I don't know what to believe regarding the N fitment / marker; some tyre places (including Michelin UK and costco) said "you don't want those on your M5 sir", others have said they are fine and just a rating - nothing different.

my vote for worst snow / ice tyre ever was the Toyo TR1's that I had on before the PS/2's.... standing start on snowy M25 last year = wheel spin in 5th with no throttle applied (ie just tick over). never again.

this was the thread I started last year about this .... http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/147001-ps-2-discontinued.html
(last posting on the first [page is relevant)
Michelin's new Super-sports tire is due for release next month. It costs the same as the PS2 but is significantly better in dry & wet conditions. It's also quieter & lasts almost twice as long by all accounts!

I have a brand new set of T1R's that I was offered at silly price a few months ago. Two 265/35/18's cost less than one PS2!!! I could not resist at the time but being a bit of a snob where tires are concerned I have decided to keep them as spares/track tires for my spare wheels once I have burned my P-Zero Nero's.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Those new Michelin super's sound rather "super"!

My Toyo's where good on even road surfaces on warm days - so perfect for track use I would say.

However, the Toyo's lasted around 5000 miles, and I'm pretty easy on road tyres eg, the tyres on my Saab turbo are nearly 40,000 miles old and need replacing because of age rather than lack of tread, they're 5 year's old in February).

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If these Pilot Super Sports last double what the PS2s or SportContact M3 tyres do, then I should get a good 10,000 miles out of the rears :wroom:

BTW, the new Super Sports were developed in conjunction with BMW, Porsche & Ferrari - so might be standard equipment on some models soon.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately Tony these will not available in 17" either :mad:

At the risk of kicking off another dreaded tyre thread what are the realistic alternatives to PS2's

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Bugger. Looks like the new Conti 5P is starting at 18" plus for now too (other sizes to come later in both tyres though).

For now I guess it's got to be either Michelin PS2 (in Porsche/Mercedes fitment), Continental SportContact 3 (again probably Porsche/Mercedes fitment) or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
copied this info from the Michelin press pack about the super sport range....

Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.

Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.

Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.

Braking on wet roads:When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by three meters.

really annoying that there is no 17inch version due in 2011 :-(

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Pilot Super Sport is the true replacement for the PS2. And by all accounts the grip level in the dry is meant to be very close to the
Pilot Sport Cups, while also still retaining and improving the PS2 wet handling characteristics ( the cups would aquaplane at high speed on motorways etc..).

If the Michelin PR machine turns out to be true, these 'jack of all trades' will go down very well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sent Michelin UK an email about this and id they had any plans to make the new Pilot Super Sport in 255/40/17 and this was their reply;

'Thank you for your enquiry about tyres for your BMW M5

We have no plans at present to produce the Pilot Super Sport in the 255/40 R17. The N3 Pilot Sport PS2 can be fitted to your BMW, however, with "N" rated tyres Michelin always recommend fitting them in full sets of 4'

I hope this clears this up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts