BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running stock wheels, no spacers, with stock tire sizes: 255/40ZR19 and 285/35ZR19. I'm lowered on Dinan springs, from 25 3/8" to 24 3/16 on the front and from 24" to 24" in the rear (stock springs were sagging).

After switching from the Pilot Sport A/S3+ to the Pilot Sport 4, I started getting rubbing issues on the driver side at the connection point between the fender and bumper cover.

Anyone else experienced this with a similar tire switch? It looks to my eye like the PS4 is wider than the A/S3+. I figured I'd ask around to see whether it's just me having this problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The new Michelins 4S's are known to be oversized, I had rubbing issues when running a 15mm spacer up front recently. Lowered on lowtec springs, otherwise stock. Once I removed the spacers (tried a 12mm also) my issues went away.

How is your alignment ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My alignment is (supposed to be) stock. No toe up front, a bit of camber. I can check it later if I can find the sheet. But I had it done around the same time I got the tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So maybe the trick is to run PSSs on this platform. Kind of sucks. Only other fix I can think of is coilovers to set a ride height that alleviates the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, so on my car it's either coilovers or tires and shocks. Bilstein is the only company that makes EDC-compatible coilovers, and they also make EDC-compatible shocks. But their delivery times are usually absurd. So that leaves Genuine BMW shocks, which are money.

There is no solution that isn't lots of money. Wish I'd known before I pulled the trigger on the PS4s.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'm running stock wheels, no spacers, with stock tire sizes: 255/40ZR19 and 285/35ZR19. I'm lowered on Dinan springs, from 25 3/8" to 24 3/16 on the front and from 24" to 24" in the rear (stock springs were sagging).

After switching from the Pilot Sport A/S3+ to the Pilot Sport 4, I started getting rubbing issues on the driver side at the connection point between the fender and bumper cover.

Anyone else experienced this with a similar tire switch? It looks to my eye like the PS4 is wider than the A/S3+. I figured I'd ask around to see whether it's just me having this problem.
Rubbing where on DS, front or rear? Edit: just saw up front.

When are you rubbing? All the time? On compression? Turning?

How many miles on your dampers and springs?

I suspect your entire suspension could use a refresh. The springs are probably newer, but if the dampers are original, it could be time for a complete refresh.

With that said, I’m running PS4S 285F and 305R — and not rubbing, corner balanced on new Coilovers. Full details in sig.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I suspect your entire suspension could use a refresh. The springs are probably newer, but if the dampers are original, it could be time for a complete refresh.

With that said, I’m running PS4S 285F and 305R — and not rubbing, corner balanced on new Coilovers. Full details in sig.
Coulda sworn I said something about my shocks/dampers...

Rubbing over slow but large undulations or big bumps that hit the front, usually with wheel straight. For some reason only on the driver side, at least so far.

Springs I put in myself at around 65k miles. All front control arms, plus tie rods, have been replaced. Dampers and mounts are original. (Everything but springs are still original out back.)

I already know my dampers are shot, especially the low-speed rebound damping. Car is super busy over bumps. My weekend at the Tail of the Dragon at the end of October finished off both my shocks AND an ionic current controller.

New shocks will help keep the wheels from moving up into the wheel wells as much, but they aren't truly a fix. Fix is either tires that won't rub, or else a coilover setup adjusted so that the tire doesn't hit the well at full damper stroke. Yeah, there's wheels, too, but no.

I appreciate that your setup doesn't rub - and MCS dampers are utterly fantastic - but I have no plans to spend $8k+ for the dampers and wheels I'd need to replicate it. :)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Coulda sworn I said something about my shocks/dampers...

Rubbing over slow but large undulations or big bumps that hit the front, usually with wheel straight. For some reason only on the driver side, at least so far.

Springs I put in myself at around 65k miles. All front control arms, plus tie rods, have been replaced. Dampers and mounts are original. (Everything but springs are still original out back.)

I already know my dampers are shot, especially the low-speed rebound damping. Car is super busy over bumps. My weekend at the Tail of the Dragon at the end of October finished off both my shocks AND an ionic current controller.

New shocks will help keep the wheels from moving up into the wheel wells as much, but they aren't truly a fix. Fix is either tires that won't rub, or else a coilover setup adjusted so that the tire doesn't hit the well at full damper stroke. Yeah, there's wheels, too, but no.

I appreciate that your setup doesn't rub - and MCS dampers are utterly fantastic - but I have no plans to spend $8k+ for the dampers and wheels I'd need to replicate it. :)
EDC is overrated!! And code out the error.
You could to a street coilover for under $1000.00:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Fiftytwoeighty :

Eeeeh. I'm familiar with BC Racing from my days running a Pontiac G8. I never heard great things. And I ran a set of Pedders coilovers for a bit, supposedly manufactured for Pedders by BC. They caused the car to rock back and forth from front to back and were incredibly harsh over bumps. My experience with them is why I've sworn off coilovers on every car I've owned since. It's why I'm hesitant to make the leap to them now.

But if you're going to spend big money on coilovers, MCS or Moton are definitely the way to go. I've heard great things about the KWs, as well, for a bit less moolah.

By the way, was it Bimmerworld that helped you set up your MCS package? When I called them to talk suspension for my car - I was asking about the Bilstein B6s - they mentioned they'd done an MCS custom setup for someone running time trials in an E60.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
@Fiftytwoeighty :

Eeeeh. I'm familiar with BC Racing from my days running a Pontiac G8. I never heard great things. And I ran a set of Pedders coilovers for a bit, supposedly manufactured for Pedders by BC. They caused the car to rock back and forth from front to back and were incredibly harsh over bumps. My experience with them is why I've sworn off coilovers on every car I've owned since. It's why I'm hesitant to make the leap to them now.

But if you're going to spend big money on coilovers, MCS or Moton are definitely the way to go. I've heard great things about the KWs, as well, for a bit less moolah.

By the way, was it Bimmerworld that helped you set up your MCS package? When I called them to talk suspension for my car - I was asking about the Bilstein B6s - they mentioned they'd done an MCS custom setup for someone running time trials in an E60.
Yup, that was for my e60. MCS/Bimmerworld is also building a 3 way remote for my e28 m5. Needless to say, call it rationalization, but I’m very happy with MCS.

I hear you on BC. I had CKS previously and was pleasantly surprised. Hard to go wrong with KW or OEM, for that matter. KW will also revalve, and CKS will revalve, if you ask them.

I hope you work out the rubbing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts

View attachment 932791

Those nice fat tires! (y)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone reading this with the same issue, if you're having rubbing issues with the PS4s, the list of possible ways to reduce/eliminate the rub:
  • Things that aren't true fixes but will help because they keep the wheel from moving as much:
    • If you can adjust the ride height of your car, bump it up a bit
    • If you have adjustable dampers or coilovers, you can try increasing the compression damping to limit suspension travel, albeit at the cost of comfort.
    • If you're running stock dampers and drop springs - this should occur much less with stock springs unless you hit a BIG bump - you may need new dampers, again to limit suspension travel.
    • If you're running drop springs, switch back to stocks.
  • Fixes
    • Run a wheel set that gives you the offset you need to better tuck the tire.
    • Swap back to a narrower tire, such as the Pilot Super Sport
@Fiftytwoeighty :
There's definitely a reason the MCS dampers are the spec for SpecE46.

Thanks for the well-wishing!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hate to ask, any chance of collision repair to fender or suspension at some point? Otherwise would a lil more camber (negative) help out in a pinch? I think you can get some free adjustment via knock out pins on strut mounts. Give it a try!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got KW V3's and have the front ground control top hats on hand and will be running the same exact settings as fiftytwoeighty at some point. Works for him so hopefully it works for me as well..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts