BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M6 was knockin so I took it to service. They found metal in the oil filter.. Now they are dropping the oil pan and also found metal there.. They are working with tech reps at BMW headquarters to find the source etc. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought was I hope it's still under warranty:eek:oohhh:
Yes it is under warranty. I hope they don't blame it on my driving it's an M6 lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Your car was designed to be driven hard... the warranty will cover the problem but like MiamiSixer said, you are likely going to get a new engine. It could be just sheering of the rings or possibly a piston... but it could be the cylinder walls or any number of things that are extremely worse than a ring. It sucks that you will be without your car while they diagnose and repair the M6, but at least you will be covered!

Let us know what they tell you as this progresses! I am interested to find out what the cause & effect are.

good luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the same problem. First the engine was a bit shaky and I drove it to the dealer. Then they said it may be the clutch but they found small metal particles in the oil pan and dissasebled the engine. The problem was that the main bearing of the crankshaft was damaged due to unknown reason and they replaced "almost" the complete engine. They used the engine's old heads because they were not damaged.
Thank God and BMW that although my car was not under warranty,they replaced it for free.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Metal in the filter/pan indicates bearing failure. Since it was "knocking" it's most likely a rod bearing. Once the engine is torn apart please let me know if I was correct. New engine for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys here is an update. Service still has my car. BMW got involved and pretty much took over the service. They are telling the Technicians at the dealer exactly what to do and how to do it. Last word was BMW told them to replace the Oil Pump. My service guy says he has no control since BMW took over. Well a tool never comes in on Tuesday so they will replace the Oil Pump then. My problem is that to my knowledge replacing the oil pump is not going to fix the problem because that "Metal" came from somewhere so that means somewhere in my engine there are parts that are missing metal. So what if they call me on Tuesday and say "We changed the oil pump your car is ready to go"

A little off subject my car is an 07 35k miles certified pre owned. They have one for sale that is an 08 also certified pre-owned with only 13k miles. I wonder how much the difference would be to trade it. Or maybe I should sell it on Autotrader then buy the 08?

Thanks for chiming in guys

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oil pump replacement won't cure the fact that there is metal particulates throughout your engine. The damage is already done and don't accept that as a fix. The oil pump wasn't causing the "knock", a rod bearing was. Don't accept anything other than a complete engine rebuild or a new engine.

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
So what if they call me on Tuesday and say "We changed the oil pump your car is ready to go"
Just tell the stealership that this is no time for jokes and to get the new engine on order ASAP. Tell them you are glad that they realize that when replacing the engine, a new oil pump is also a great idea.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Perhaps BMW is hoping the metal came from the oil pump? Sounds like a shot in the dark to try and avoid dishing out the $$$ for a new engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps BMW is hoping the metal came from the oil pump? Sounds like a shot in the dark to try and avoid dishing out the $$$ for a new engine.
I don't see how pieces of metal can come off an oil pump. I wish I knew what they were thinking. They should just give me the M6 they have with less miles and keep mine haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
You should contact BMW NA, if your car is on lease with BMW, tell them you will stop the payments and that you will leave the car and the keys at their HQ.

I had almost a year of BMW GB bullshitting me when my gearbox failed a few years ago on my M6, to date I never got an explanation of what the fault was, however they ended up replacing the car for me at their cost, which was OK by me.

Goodluck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should contact BMW NA, if your car is on lease with BMW, tell them you will stop the payments and that you will leave the car and the keys at their HQ.

I had almost a year of BMW GB bullshitting me when my gearbox failed a few years ago on my M6, to date I never got an explanation of what the fault was, however they ended up replacing the car for me at their cost, which was OK by me.

Goodluck
I am purchasing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dont understand your comment, you mean that you have paid for the car in full or you are going to pay for the damage ??

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont understand your comment, you mean that you have paid for the car in full or you are going to pay for the damage ??

Cheers

My car is not paid off yet. I was talking about trading it in for the one with less miles without paying a huge difference.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Metal filings will apparently come from Rod Bearing, pistons and what not, but the original problem could have emanated by not having correct oil pressure esp during harsh driving etc. hence it would cause the engine oil starvation resulting in stressing out other components. This is what i have heard from different techinicans working at BMW. I am not mechanical at all. However, saying that you need a brand spanking new engine ideally year 2010 build.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got a call from service. They are not changing the Oil Pump they are changing the Vanos. What is the Vanos? You guys think that will solve the problem?

BTW my car is still under warranty

·
Registered
579 Posts
NO! It won't solve the problem as there are STILL metal particulates throughout the engine. DO NOT accept that as a fix!!! The oil filter won't necessarily prevent those metal particulates from spreading throughout the engine oiling system to include all the other main/rod/cam bearings. BMW assumes most of their customers don't know engine basics but you're fortunate you have the expertise of fellow M6 Board members also!!! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts