BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a speeding ticket today for driving 75mph on a 55mph highway; am wondering how will I ever be able to enjoy the m5 and if not is it really worth owning one

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
The risk of tickets is always present, regardless of what you are driving. But there are ways of enjoying cars without exceeding speed limits greatly. When I piled up several tickets shortly after getting my license, I was threatened with losing driving privileges altogether if I got tagged again. This made me focus on things like on-ramps, off-ramps and back roads. Now, I have added toll booths. There aren't many laws against accelerating at a rapid rate as long as it is not done recklessly. Although I have (somehow) gone 15 years without a speeding ticket, I am sure I will get one again. I would rather be driving what I really want to be driving when I get one.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MRichmond said:
The risk of tickets is always present, regardless of what you are driving. But there are ways of enjoying cars without exceeding speed limits greatly. When I piled up several tickets shortly after getting my license, I was threatened with losing driving privileges altogether if I got tagged again. This made me focus on things like on-ramps, off-ramps and back roads. Now, I have added toll booths. There aren't many laws against accelerating at a rapid rate as long as it is not done recklessly. Although I have (somehow) gone 15 years without a speeding ticket, I am sure I will get one again. I would rather be driving what I really want to be driving when I get one.
Onramps are great places to accelerate through a sweeping turn - I have a number of favorites nearby. I regularly top 100 mph on an onramp near me - very safe - no other cars nearby, and no police radar. I can't wait to take the m5 on the same curves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is my first ticket and it is true that I have enjoyed my previous cars by just being careful;never used radar or laser;appreciate the advice; any experience on how this impacts insurance;i understand that if I pay up its 2 points and may not affect insurance as this is the first offence.

·
Registered
71 Posts
riaz said:
I just got a speeding ticket today for driving 75mph on a 55mph highway; am wondering how will I ever be able to enjoy the m5 and if not is it really worth owning one
You can either join a local track event to unleash the car full potential, or look for some desserted mountain roads near your area.

Both of those options are much more rewarding than driving 150mph+ on the Highway.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Speeding tickets are just another consumption tax. If you want to enjoy your car as you signature says, it is unavoidable

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I must say that it is very easy to go over the speed limit in this car. Travelling at 45mph feels like 30 and 75 feels like 60 etc. Thank goodness for the heads up display that helps me judge the speed.

I am having my Origin Blue 2 refitted into the car as we speak so that will help with speed cameras. New LE30 goes in tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I think as soon as i get mine I will install the le 30 and most likely the valentine one although my preference would be for something more discreet like the sr7; dont know if anyone else has used this combination and also if they have any pics of the installation

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I must say that it is very easy to go over the speed limit in this car. Travelling at 45mph feels like 30 and 75 feels like 60 etc. Thank goodness for the heads up display that helps me judge the speed.

I am having my Origin Blue 2 refitted into the car as we speak so that will help with speed cameras. New LE30 goes in tomorrow.
Ashok, have you considered the mini RoadPilot, it is excellent and gets far better ratings than Origin Blue 2

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wolverine said:
Onramps are great places to accelerate through a sweeping turn - I have a number of favorites nearby. I regularly top 100 mph on an onramp near me - very safe - no other cars nearby, and no police radar. I can't wait to take the m5 on the same curves.

My son and I did the 3-day racing school with Skip Barber a few months ago out in Laguna Seca and our instructor, Jim Clark ("not that Jim Clark"), asked for an everyday example of a decreasing radius turn. Someone shouted out "on ramps!" and he turned, smiled and said "Yeah.....America's Playgrounds."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts