BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the NOVA with the film clip of the MB cabriolet rolling over on the autobahn after clipping the guard rail at 150 mph? Hard top flies off after car comes to rest right side up. Driver undoes seat belt, gets out of car, sits on embankment, unhurt. Automatic roll bar had popped up and done its job. real accident, not staged or a test. very impressive.

OBMWC: i hope my M5 is as safe as this MB.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Steve,

Your M5 may actually be safer. With the introduction of the E39, they made it 70% stiffer than its predecessor. Maybe in anticipation of the 400 Hp engine they were planning.

The head air bag or tube received the Millenium safety award from some brain injury society for its ability to minimize head injuries

The insurance institute on offset front-end collision awarded BMW better marks for the first time over the E320 Merc.

The both passive and active safety features designed as a part of F.I.R.S.T. should add to your confidence.

I don't know about you but I feel better just knowing some of this stuff.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yeah, I remember that story.

The car never hit anything too solid head-on, which was good...

Still, it illustrates once again why, though they sometimes have suspect electricals and we loathe so many of the dealers that sell and service them*, the Germans have forgotten more about structures than most manufacturers know.

* I've never been there, never met the people I bought my M5 from, but it was a refreshingly painless experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts