BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear, what's the world coming to?!

New V8 diesel for the SL-Class

The new drive in the Vision SL 400 CDI also belongs to Mercedes-Benz’ third generation of CDI engines. To create this system, the engineers took the familiar four-litre V8 diesel and enhanced many of its components while also adding stateof-the-art piezo injectors, new turbochargers and an optimised water/charge-air cooling system. Taken together, all of these measures allow the engine to bring forth its power and torque in an even more harmonious fashion. The SL 400 CDI accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.8 seconds. As such, this diesel sports car justifiably bears the legendary letters “SL”.

:(

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 'vision' tag means it's a concept car... on the other hand the vision cars often go into production.

And Mercedes has always been good at putting diesel engines into odd cars.. The BMW 330cd sports coupe diesel may seem quite novel, but Mercedes were there over 20 years ago with the 300CD, although 125bhp from a diesel seems less impressive these days..!

http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/300cd852.htm

Russ

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with the turbos I reckon the powerband will be quite narrow and the redline something silly like 5000 rpm. No way will this be a sport drive, especially with the auto only transmission. This car is clearly designed for the "look at me" crowd as well as executives piling on the motorway miles.

An insult to the words "Sports Car" :grrrrr:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diesel = paska :crying:

·
Registered
50 Posts
i imagian that will have a million and one restricters on it. i would like to see someone take the restricters on and have it chipped, then lets see how fast diesel power is.
if this goes into production, brabus might get there hands on it...that would be fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts