BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great writeup from Andrea:

Tough, really tough question.... i'll give it a try....

As I said,.... the Enzo is my bro's.... and the guy is just so anal about other people driving his cars... including me, his brother... :grrrrr:
that I only tried the Enzo twice... i did however push it pretty hard......

Still, cars like these... i think.... in order to be appreciated have to be used and used over and over, you really have to get to know them extremely well before understanding their true potential and therefore unleashing their true power. Since you can't use them everyday, it can really take quite a while to get really confortable with them.... with the F40 it took me a couple of years (a real brute of a car... serious emotional feedback!!! Fantastic!!) I just don't have enough experience on the Enzo and little on the GT, it was only delivered 3 wks ago and I managed to use only two wknds, one day in Monza, but with a wet track due to rain from the night before, so had to take it easy... don't want to turn a fun day at the track in a disaster....
Said that....

Here are my initial thoughts (Remember: I own the GT, used it more and i'm therefore probably biased towards it. On the other hand, at heart I'm a Ferrari man (it's a family thing)..

Engine - Both are incredible, you can't say which is better because one is a V12 and one is a V10, in their respective categories they are both works of art. The Enzo is more nervous and violent, with a power curve that just nerver seems to end..... the Carrera has incredible responsivness, an unreal progression and beautiful fullness...... bottom line, they're very different but both amazing in their own way. The Enzo is a more powerfull... but believe me, at this level you hardly ever use all the available horses.... and power is nothing with out handling....

Handling - Again little experience on both, I haven't even come close to push them properly.... first impression, I'd say that I prefer the GT, even though the steering is very agressive, meaning nearly too precise for a road car. The Enzo I found to get too light on the front end at high speed... maybe it's just a sensation, but it made me very nervous.... remember when I say high speed, I really mean it.... in Italy you can still go very fast :wroom: (when i drive these cars I regularly go above the 300km/h mark....)....... since there's way less police on the roads (i couldn't live anywhere else just because of this).... bottom line, my feeling was that the GT felt more stuck to the road.... but that's just me after a few drives, espcially on the Enzo.... A word on traction control. I don't know the Enzo's one well, but I know the Stradale one... I tell you, the Porsche has come up with a traction control that just dosen't annoy you, really a work of art. The ferrari one is just too sensitive and kicks in, I feel, still too early, even though it's getting better and better. The porsche one is just unreal... it just kick in always at the right time and in the right amount... difficult to explain... it's just great.

Brakes - Both awesome.. really nothing else to say....

Clutch - Well, here I can only really speak about the GT since the Enzo is F1.... It's a hard clutch, pretty tricky for a normal driver... however, pretty normal for someone used to drive race cars... basically it's tough and super precise... it can happen to stall the car starting from still (extremely occasionally).... but, man, when you pushing it's a beauty.... so precise and quick.

Gearbox - Again very different and so uncomparable. I have an F1 Gearbox on the Stradale and I love it (the Enzo's is even a bit quicker, but sdame generation), never having to take the hands of the wheel is great, and the gearbox works beautifully and super quickly. However, I also love driving stick... having a clutch to play around with is always a good thing.... the gearbox on this car is sublime, the only pain is that you have to let it warm up properly before really giving it (can take even 20 minutes)... again, very similar to a race car.... the position of the gear stick is soo cool.... like a GT racer, high up...horzional par with the center of the steering wheel.....

Sound Effects - Again both are amazing... but the GT is the nearest I've ever, but ever, heard to an F1 engine... it's absolutely unreal... just the thought get's me all excited..... :thumbsup:

Looks and Styling - The Enzo is amazing in that it's outrageous, yet a bit too much for my taste... those doors are amazing though. The GT I think is beautifull (especially the front).... and more stylish.... Styling is a very personal thing...

Build Quality - Germans jusy build cars better (see my obssession with M Power cars).... the Enzo is a masterpiece, but being italian it has a lot of imperfections... mostly little things... but on cars like this you look at every detail (since you pay outrageous cash) and so you notice them. I can't get over the engine hood not closing perfectly in line with the body of the car at the back (where the spoiler is). The interior, I find, is a bit tacky ... and not well finished. It feels flimsy, but race cars usually do becase of weight containment. The GT is a masterpiece of German engineering. Everything fits just perfectly, you just don't see a screw anywhere... the carbon fiber finish is sublime, all the materials are top notch and are assembled with unreal precision. I have no words to describe the build quality... this car looks like it was built with technology straight from NASA, there's something really futuristic about it... the whole chassis is carbon fiber, a world's first, no tubular pieces of chassis or other anywhere, which is not the case with the Enzo.......it's really an engineering triumph.....you got to see it to understand what i mean.

Bottom Line - Both cars are works of art. You really cannot get any better. They are different and both great in their own ways. I just gave you my opinion which is and based on little experience with both cars... so there...

One last thing... one thing that shocked me was the crap visibility when inside the Enzo... the positive is that when nicely tucked inside, you feel like you're in a fighter jet....

I can't believe I wrote this much!!!! :blabla:

Next year I've already agreed to rent out monza for a morning with my brother... i'll get someone to time us... just the for the fun of it... and I'll let you know... I wish someone took an Enzo around the ring properly, so we'd finally find out which is really faster....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very impressive. I too would be interested to actually know which car is truly faster. Since 0-60 times and single digit top speed differences are basically irrelevant for cars as perfect as these, the only true way to know which is faster is to race them on the track! Good luck, I'm not sure who I would cheer for, you or your brother, since I love both cars so very much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great info, that`s an impressive garage - and Enzo and a Carrera GT sitting next to each other is a not a common view (neither on the internet).
Complimenti Andrea, thanks for sharing

Regards
Alex

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed you commented that it was hard for you to take pictures in your dark garage. So, I took the liberty of fixing up the pictures a bit. Much easier to see the cars, and some photos on the walls can now actually be seen a bit. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts