BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im still wondering if i should order the Meisterschaft Section 1 (Secondary Cat Delete) or not, the only thing that holds me back is the warranty issue, imagine i lose i warranty for stupid **** like that and then my engine goes out i will have to work my *** off :) to change the 40000$ engine so just thinking only honest opinions and advice please don’t come here with ( oooo search on the forum ) if u don’t want to answer just don’t write don’t waste time ) - the only reason im saying that because alot of not pation members which i i respect, are writing that - search the forum or u didn’t look hard enough, but this old forums are just old, and maybe out of date and some new members maybe have to say something about the issue im looking for, so that’s why please respect each other and if u have nothing to say just close the browser

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well if you are that concerned about secondary cat delete warranty issues, save your old pipes, and before you take it in for an inspection put the old pipes back on...takes about 30 min....

I wouldn't pay for Meisterschaft...get Evo, or hell just straight pipe it at a muffler shop...they are just 2 pipes!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Why would section 1 pipes void any kind of warranty?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Why would section 1 pipes void any kind of warranty?
Because they can be construed as a modification to the car. I had BMW refuse to re-warranty my car because it had a Schnitzer kit and mufflers on it! I have a much better relationship and shop now but you really never know!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just replaced my section 1 with Evosport race pipes. I'm not worried about it. I plan on putting the stock section 1 when I'm done with the car though.
In general, I dont think mods that replace exhaust systems after headers are considered to be serious modifications.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I just replaced my section 1 with Evosport race pipes. I'm not worried about it. I plan on putting the stock section 1 when I'm done with the car though.
In general, I dont think mods that replace exhaust systems after headers are considered to be serious modifications.
I am living proof my friend that anything can be challenged. My car would not be re certified because it had a kit on it that I actually purchased from the dealer as part of the car!? if that's not proof, I don't know what is!:( You must never assume anything. I have learned that over the years. Plan for the worst...hope for the best.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am living proof my friend that anything can be challenged. My car would not be re certified because it had a kit on it that I actually purchased from the dealer as part of the car!? if that's not proof, I don't know what is!:( You must never assume anything. I have learned that over the years. Plan for the worst...hope for the best.
Thats nuts.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
as you said Kwan...keep your stock pipes, easy to reinstall if taking back to the dealer...

·
Registered
291 Posts
So what exactly did you modify on what car? When it comes down to it, there are laws that prohibit a dealer from denying warranty unless the mod was the cause of the damage. eg. cant deny warranty on smg issues because you put in an aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yeah sure...but when it came time for me to move my old 540 from lease to purchased in full, they would not re certify the car. I do not wish to debate you on this. I am just saying that everything is up to interpretation. i think consumers have some pretty idealistic opinions regarding warranty claims. At the end of the day...it's BMW's and the dealers decision. if you do not agree, you could challenge them in court with your time & your dime. if you have both to spare that's great! I do not wish to spend my resources squabbling over warranty issues about a car. I just think folks who mod their cars need to be aware of the risk. That's all.:)

·
1,764 Posts
The back pressure is important caused by things after the headers. Get it wrong, and the engine will run poorly, and could be considered by the manufacturer to possibly have damaged the engine under a warranty repair. You are giving the manufacturer an out - look at the fine print on your warranty terms and conditions.

yawnnnn

·
Registered
291 Posts
If such an unfortunate thing were to happen, I shall report it in these forums so that others may benefit from it.
I see your points about warranty concerns. I just feel these mods carry a low risk of doing any damage to the car. Everything has a benefit/risk ratio and to me the benefits of these mods highly exceed the risks. Everyone should make their own decisions concerning mods. Just giving my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Whatever mods you chose, try and go with a manufacturer that has a long standing reputation of R&D, not one engaged in knock offs/parts made in Korea...

·
Registered
239 Posts
The dealer can be dicks all they want... I would throw the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) at their face and watch them turns into pussies.

"This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))."

Yeah but if they want to be dicks they can tell that the exhaust was cut. Stock is all 1 piece!
Because they can be construed as a modification to the car. I had BMW refuse to re-warranty my car because it had a Schnitzer kit and mufflers on it! I have a much better relationship and shop now but you really never know!
<!-- / message -->

·
1,764 Posts
However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.
Yep, those Ts and Cs will get you everytime.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The dealer can be dicks all they want... I would throw the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) at their face and watch them turns into pussies.

"This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))."

<!-- / message -->
Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes for ya!

·
1,764 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts