BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I thought this title would be more accurate than my other "whooohooo" thread...

let me first start of by saying that all that stuff written about GTHaus aka EisenHaus is all mis-information (GTHasu being fake, crooks, and all that garbage). As we all know with the age of the internet (blogs/forums), anyone can say anything now a days, whether its the truth or not.
I question the validity of all those individuals 2-3 years ago that kept posting all the malicious posts against EisenHaus/GTHaus w/o being properly informed. While getting my exhaust installed by GTHaus, I had the pleasure of sitting down with the owner, John, and the manager Jerry, and talk all about the ordeal that went down in 2008-2009. He even offered to bust out the box full of legal litigation against some of the individuals that started all this slandering. Both guys are extremely down to earth! Very helpful throughout the ordering process

anyways, I'm not here to promote GTHaus, but merely state my experience with them and how I would DISAGREE 100% with all the negative posts against them.
GTHaus is the NA distributor of Meisterschaft. They are actually the ones that make the Meisterschaft over in Korea, which then gets shipped here (GTHaus) to be distributed to various dealers like VividRacing and others. GTHaus normally does not deal with customers directly. If you want to order from them, they'll usually direct you to their dealers. In fact, if you goto GTHaus.com, you'll see the suggested retail price, but there is no "order" button. But for us locals in Chicago, they're more than happy to have us come in and accomodate us! They have their own garage and lift for the installs.
Check out part of their shippment of exhausts below!

My initial set up was all stock except w/ the resonator delete. I had straight pipes post resonator last year, but the drone while cruising was terrible! Not very refined sounding either, so I had the stock mufflers put back on and had the resonator deleted. sounded ok, but not loud enough for my taste.

I had the GT2 installed w/o the resonator.. i figured i can allways get the resonator reinstalled again if it's too loud..
It still needs a few hundred miles to burn out the "glass packaging" material inside, so the sound will change/deepen.. but all i can say is WOW! :applause: above 4K rpm, it screams and sounds AWESOME! Definitely loud! especially during cold start up..but it does sound like a higher pitched F1 sound, very exotic. It sounds soo different from behind the car than IN the car. They've designed it such that most of the sound shoots out the back, as opposed to 360 degrees.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WIHE6AKZMJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's awesome about the exhaust is that in-cabin when idling, sounds almost stock!! but outside, there's a very low low rumble, but not annoying @ traffic lights..

That being said, all the vids don't seem to capture what the exhaust truly sounds like. it sounds so different in person than on the vids..
Now, we've all seen the fly by WOT runs w/ exhausts, but what about the everyday drivability of it? I wanted to post some comparisons since I'm very picky about comfort as well.. here's a vid of everything stock except res-delete cruising 70mph:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WbxYJKqORaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
very minimal drone, barely noticable

here's a video after the GT2 install, no res cruising @ 70mph:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CZ9X2DrpmGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
slight increase in in-cabin drone, but very very tolerable.. now any mild throttle input increases the drone, but general cruising is comfortable.
Both vids were top up, and windows up..

Actually, M6Cabrio's video on youtube is the exact setup as mine:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNkwQLJkDCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this vid convinced me to get the exhaust!:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MDMlogqsJCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What i've also noticed is that after the exhaust/car has warmed up for about 5 mins, the exhaust quiets down a bit under 3k rpm.. perfect for casual "don't look at me to much" around town cruising.. but still SSSCCREEEAMMMMSSS above 4k!! I've only had it for 1 day and LOVE the thumbs up and looks/smiles i've been getting!!!

Sure, there will be times where i wish it were a little more quiet (mornings) , but being that I live in Chicago downtown, I love the echoing off the buildlings!!
Oh, and I LOVE the split ovals!!!!

--also, I got the exhaust because of the sound, and didn't care about not having hp increase.. HOWEVER, surprisingly, my first few WOT runs, i unexpectedly noticed that i felt slightly, slightly dizzied from it! psychological? maybe, but I did lose power/low end w/ the straight pipes last year, so I expected a slight loss on the low end w/ the GT2.. but definitely not! i should state that any exhausts don't ADD hp, but more so FREE up hp.. so maybe i did free up a little?? it's hard for me to think that I'd be able to feel any difference w/ just a muffler.. maybe b/c i've been sick all week, hence the dizzy feeling?? - maybe from the weight savings?

I'll post more thoughts as the days come..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Very nice post...and nice vids :1:

The sound definitely is better in person I agree on that. Something about the video doesn't capture the full exoticness of it. On a cold start it is annoying loud, but after it warms up, at idle, there is not much difference from stock...even without the resonator. After 3-4k RPM though it is a different story :7:

I don't think you are mis-reading the HP increase. I tested the car before and after with same track conditions, same 60' times, etc, and had track times a tenth of a second faster in the 1/4 mile consecutively. Definitely not a loss of 50 HP or whatever those ridiculous claims are on some of these threads from a while back lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you feel an HP increase too?? Even a better bonus I wasn't expecting!
After having the exhaust for 1 day, I must say that I love it 90% of the time.. Like M6Cabrio said, the cold start in the morning, and the next 2-3 mins afterward, I'm quite conscious and annoyed @ it. Sounds even louder in my condo garage (chicago downtown), but at least no one hears it since it's just the garage, I'm sure it would be worse in a suburb..

But, after it warms up: beautiful exotic sounding. I LOVE running it above 3K now! Absolutely awesome exhaust!!
So far, I know no regrets, and I just want to keep driving it!

oh, another downside it is the fuel consumption.. but I'm sure you know why! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your exhaust the titanium or stainless steel version?

I'm in the market for an exhaust and have been going back and forth between RPI and Meisterschaft. I like Meiterschafts sound better, but I like RPI's HP increase and quality of its build.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is staineless.. they also have titanium available too.. honestly, I think most of us (including myself) don't have a true understanding of "quality build and weld" unless you're in the metal fabrication business.
I used my best judgement when i looked @ the exhaust... Looking closely at all their exhausts above (customer's orders), the fabrication and weld of all the exhausts seem
extremely consistent and of high quality. I don't think that any of the exhaust systems mentioned on this forum are "crap" (ie. meister, eisenm, tubi, UUC, rpi.. etc)..
it's sooo easy for us to form opinions which we think are solid truth, simply by people's opinion (I had that same feel too until I investigated further)..

two thumbs up for Meisterschaft!! (I'm not saying it's better than other brands, since I don't have side by side comparisons - just simply that I'm extremely happy w/ the product)...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok.. so i've managed to log probably over 500miles in the past 2 weeks.. I can't stop driving it!
My impressions thus far:

the exhaust seemed to have quiet down a bit, and the tone mellowed out a little too. At idle in cabin (vert), you can barely notice any difference from stock. Outside it emits a nice low rumble, but nothing even near obnoxious.. just loud enough to let everyone know somethin's up w/ ur 6er..
again, my setup has the stock cats, but no resonator..

Under mild acceleration, it's notably louder with a nice tone, but again, I don't find it obnoxious. If i had to guess, maybe 40-50% louder under mild acceleration..but doesn't sound anything like a fart can..I followed my m6 once in my wife's G37 coupe S, and with the windows closed, you can somewhat hear the exhaust, but not as loud as I thought.
Above 3500rpm, it starts getting your attention! BUT, it depends on your load/throttle input.

Under mild/moderate acceleration above 3500k-sih rpm, the tone gets louder and still slightly deep.
However, if you're under half load or even 2/3's load above 3500rpm the tone sounds much different than under mild/moderate load. the pitch seems to switch a bit higher , but somewhat of a high tech sound.. videos can't seem to capture it.. Reving it in neutral doesn't even sound close to how awesome it sounds under load.
Driving downtown chicago, absolutely AWESOME!..

Now, I'm one that's also very picky and I've been very nervous about my purchase (everyone saying how loud it is). My car is a daily driver w/ a lot of highway driving, and the drone and loudness that everyone was speaking of worried me.
after the "burn in" period, highway driving is actually fine!! there is a slight bit of resonance heard (drone) in cabin in 7th gear aroudn 55mph-68mph.. basically under 2500K-ish rpm..
however, around 2600rpm and up, the resonance/drone seems to disappear.. so aroudn 70mphish thru about 85mph (haven't tried cruising for long periods of time above 85mph - cops here suck), the exhaust is really not that noticeable.. you hear a slight increase in exhaust tone, but none of the resonance.
And that's me being very picky w/ the radio off and listening for it. If you have a radio on, you won't even notice the drone!
actually, the past couple days I've been just cruising on the highway and I realized that i don't even really realize the exhaust if I'm not listening for it, until I open it up under a tunnel!!

it does feel a little "peppier" to me, but that could be psychological, or maybe the weight savings? I'm well aware that it is near impossible to free up HP just by simply changing the muffler, which is why I'm surprised that I even felt anything?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
....................let me first start of by saying that all that stuff written about GTHaus aka EisenHaus is all mis-information (GTHasu being fake, crooks, and all that garbage). As we all know with the age of the internet (blogs/forums), anyone can say anything now a days, whether its the truth or not.

I question the validity of all those individuals 2-3 years ago that kept posting all the malicious posts against EisenHaus/GTHaus w/o being properly informed..................

congrats on your new exhaust, I'm happy you are satisfied with them...

however...

I disagree with the expressions above - - the problems that company had were well documented, they did misrepresent relationships and conduct themselves in an unbecoming if not illeagl manner;

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ny-conflict-official-reply-added-9th-feb.html

However, that was then, this is now - I have no idea what they are up to these days and don't care - if customers like you are satisfied with their products - wonderful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts