BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, Rocket, Tfung, M5er, and myself attended a BMYCCA event held at a local dealership to hear Tom Salkowsky, M brand manger BMWNA talk about the M cars, future of BMW M, and answer some questions. Contrary to some reports that I had read before, he is a SUPER nice guy with alot of customer service in his appeal and tone. I thought I would provide a transcript of a verbatim question I posed to him, and his response:

Q: When will the E-39 M5 seize production?

A: Ummm, I wish never, 'cause it's just about the most perfect
car BMW has ever built :D

RezF

PS He did say that as of March, production M3s in the US will have the optional 19" wheels for the price of $1750

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What else?? Did he happen to say anything about the next M5? Did he mention the V-10 or the number 500?;) Will it look like a mini 7?? Is there hope?hiha

·
Registered
300 Posts
I see M5er finally decided to crowl out from the rock and come out. I really wanted to come, but had a family dinner engagemant that I couldn't brake. I am sure you guys had fun. Bytheway did he mention when the new M5 will be built? What Engine will it have? What will the numbers be? Is he aware the Mercedes has decided to to step in the ring and start taking some shots at the M5 with its new Supercharged engines? and also that Audi is nocking on the door to step in too.

Want some answers.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rallistas

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Angel you beat me to the same question by 5 sec.

Thanks for the e-mail today.

Rallistas

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Hahaha Listen to us... all we care about is whats the next m5 like, how many cylinders, how many HP... :biggrin:

SOoooo Did Tom mention anything about the E60 M5? :hihi:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Rallistas said:
Hey Angel you beat me to the same question by 5 sec.

Thanks for the e-mail today.

Rallistas
Email?? Please refresh my memory...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Regarding the Brembos

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
ouich

Sorry, it's been a long one...

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Mr. Salkowsky had only one rule, and it was that he was goign to say very little about the company's product line for the future, at least the details.. So He COULD NOT say anythign to be honest about what is in store. All he could say was that the current M5 and M3 engines were peaked as far as output, so expect a whole new engine block..

As far as the M7, and will it be made, his answer was 'Would you want to drive an M7?' The answer suprisingly was NO.

I asked a question about BMW individual and why it is such a hassle to get it in the states. Basically he posed a scenario about manually pushing the order through and the repercussions of trying to resell the car on the market once the owner decides to sell it. Basically not everyone thinks that a Dakar Yellow M5 is pretty.

The question of whether the M3 will come in a four-door version in the E46 model years was a strait out NO. He said that it was considered but was ultimately turned down.

Someone asked whether SMG will be offered on the M5 and Tom said no, but it was because of a lack of reources/production facilities to offer that option on the beast.

Chazzy, good to see you there!

'Rocket

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correction to what Rocket posted. When Tom was asked about the M7, he did reply that there certainly IS a market for it. He said the boys next door (MB) sold 1000 S55s at $95k this past year. And these numbers seem intriguing to company. Someone said if it is true it would put out 500 hp. He replied " We're already getting 425 hp out of the 760, so 500 hp is a very modest number!"(hint???)
Someone asked if M cars would be available as an All-wheel drive ala X models. Tom asked the audience who currently drive M cars: "Would you guys drive an all wheel M5?" No one replied yes. And he said "there's your answer"

RezF

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
too bad I had to leave in the middle for a dinner meeting.... would have loved to stay for the Q&A... any other juicy info? :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Honestly, I don't think that he gave out any information than what we already knew. He was able to confirm some stuff and give some good explanations as to why things are the way they are, but he wasn't able to provide any insight as to upcoming models or what not.

Last year, he talked about the introduction of the M3, which was the big news of the year. One thing that he said was that he can't give out any information about how many cars they expect to produce. BMW is known for not limiting their production -- they build as many as they can sell. However, there was no forward-looking information. This year, he could give out the production numbers for last year: ~5,500 M3s, if I recall correctly. He indicated that there would be more produced this year: at least 8,000. But this is just because they'll be producing M3s for the full year and not just 9 months. So while it sounded like he was providing numbers, he really wasn't. You can expect more than 8,000 M3s to be produced. He has a very straightforward and honest style when answering questions, but anything forward-looking was just off-limits -- and I can totally understand that.

He did a great job answering a lot of questions about why certain decisions were made: no LC in the M3, no running ALMS, no spare tire, limited availability of Individual, etc. Great to hear some official answers.

Mr. Salkowsky did make some interesting allusions, however. The first was regarding the new M3/M5: possibly expect new engines as both engines are wrung out (which we already knew). The second was no E46 M3 sedans. The third was that an M7 would be interesting.

He specifically requested that things that he talked about were not posted on the Internet and widely disseminated. I'd like to comply with his request, but I honestly don't think that anything new was revealed before its time. He's a great guy and is a great speaker. Imagine all the stories that he can tell!

'Rocket -- it was great to finally meet you. I got to listen to some of your exhausts as you guys took off. Funny to hear you guys rip on the M3's "chainsaw" motor. Oh, wait -- I have one of those engines!

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
damn.. you mean I didn't punch the car hard enough when I left in the middle for all you guys to hear? LOL.... :D

was the question about the V10 asked at all? or did people just not bother asking him? I would presume he just gave a regular "I can't talk about future cars" line right?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll have to listen to all your exhausts again in a more "controlled" environment! :) I'm thinking about getting an exhaust put in. I really like the mellowness of the Supersprints. Not too loud, and just enough of a roar when you punch it. I love the exhausts that really make the M5 sound like it has a V8 under there -- I just don't know if I could live with it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Bart Carter said:
Any more?

We want it all.
oh yeah, I forgot.. I think he mentioned something about moving the entire Motorsport testing division from the Nurburgring to Las Vegas, and install hundreds of ATMs at the facility there... hiha hiha

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
tfung said:

oh yeah, I forgot.. I think he mentioned something about moving the entire Motorsport testing division from the Nurburgring to Las Vegas, and install hundreds of ATMs at the facility there... hiha hiha
Really!? That would be so cool!.......

WAIT A MINUTE!

HEY! You are just teasing, right?

OK, I'll remember this.

hiha

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Tfung:

I heard yur car alright! For about ten seconds after you pulled out of the lot;) . Everyone near me turned around. I think all the other guys were too busy grabbing seconds on the food to hear you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts