BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fan Modification for V8 e39 cars and M70 equipped cars.
I have swapped out 3 fan blade/fan Clutch Assemblies recently with this modification:
· e39 with M62Tu engine - 300+ miles on this car
· e39 with S62 engine - 500+ miles on this car
· e31 with M70 engine - 150+ miles on this car

The fan comes from the E65, E66, and E67 7 Series, as well as the E53 X5 with V8 and mechanical fan:

Parts needed for the mod:
Fan Blade 17417504732
Fan Clutch 17417505109

The new fan is quieter, potentially less prone to breakage, and moves more air than stock fan. You can feel the air pulling through the grill when the engine is running.

In order to perform this change, The fan blade and clutch must be used together, the new blade will not attach to existing fan clutch. This mod is early in testing, but so far, working well. All fan clutches that came stock on cars listed are 92CEL, the new fan clutch is 92CEL as well.

About the fan: it has the same dimensions and offset of the stock V8/V12 fan, fits in stock shrouds on all cars mentioned.

I cannot post the images on this site, not sure why. I would be happy to email them to anyone who can post.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the info, with part numbers. I may do this soon. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
A little puzzled, what temp does that new fan/clutch assembly kick on? Each of those cars has different activation temps for their stock fans. Is there some way this mod compensates for that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Photos on behalf of bdiefAZ:

1) after with e65/66/67 7 series, e53 x5 fan

2) before: stock fan

3) side by side comparison

4) mod on e39 with m62tu engine

Fan Modification for V8 e39 cars and M70 equipped cars.
I have swapped out 3 fan blade/fan Clutch Assemblies recently with this modification:
· e39 with M62Tu engine - 300+ miles on this car
· e39 with S62 engine - 500+ miles on this car
· e31 with M70 engine - 150+ miles on this car

The fan comes from the E65, E66, and E67 7 Series, as well as the E53 X5 with V8 and mechanical fan:

Parts needed for the mod:
Fan Blade 17417504732
Fan Clutch 17417505109

The new fan is quieter, potentially less prone to breakage, and moves more air than stock fan. You can feel the air pulling through the grill when the engine is running.

In order to perform this change, The fan blade and clutch must be used together, the new blade will not attach to existing fan clutch. This mod is early in testing, but so far, working well. All fan clutches that came stock on cars listed are 92CEL, the new fan clutch is 92CEL as well.

About the fan: it has the same dimensions and offset of the stock V8/V12 fan, fits in stock shrouds on all cars mentioned.

I cannot post the images on this site, not sure why. I would be happy to email them to anyone who can post.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm pretty interested in this idea. I know some E36 folks were fooling with something similar about the time I got out of my M3 and into my M5; I think that fan blade was from a diesel BMW of some kind. E36 cars seem even more prone to fan explosions (and other cooling system breakages for that matter) than the E39 just based on frequency of reports I've seen, though I admit I don't know it for a fact. Either way I hope the OP will report back after another significant interval, and I'll be considering this for my car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great info, I ironically was pulling my the front half of the 4.6 apart to do the timing and was looking at the E53 fan assembly for my 540 as it definitely looks beefier than the stock one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you know what the weight difference is?
The clutch looks bigger on the new set up which makes me think it's heavier.
Added weight may not be good for the water pump.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It adds some weight, but seems to be more stable in rotation, time will tell.

Do the e65's have a high rate of water pump wear?

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
cooling issues?

Are people having cooling issues with the stock setup? I don't and I live in sunny south Florida, which gets pretty hot in the summer. And I drag a supercharger along for the ride.

It is a clever setup using the BMW parts bin. But, remember, the fan is really working below about 20-25 mph. After that, the cooling is really coming from air rushing through the rad from road speed. Would more fan blades actually impede (even marginally) air rushing over the rad at speed?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No issues here other than the noise.

Here in AZ we need maximum airflow at low speeds, this fan moves significantly more air than stock setup.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe not so critical on the S62 but with the M62 running @ 108 degrees I’ll be doing this mod quite soon. One thing that’s always bugged me is sitting in traffic and getting the jet engine noise during the summer so if this cools the engine quicker and quieter I’ll be delighted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm assuming the E53 in question is the prefacelift M62 powered ones??
How about using the electric fan from LCI E53 with the N62 motors?? Has that been tried??
Cool idea either way as I hate the bus sounding fan in the V8 E39s.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting... I think I like the idea of having the outside ring attach to all the blades... looks like it would help hold it together better than individual blades.

As for CFM... I always thought straight blades moved more air... but were noisy... and curved blades moved less, but quieter (From my E-Fan conversion experiences... SPALs, etc)

If I didnt have already replaced my fan with OE ones... I would def be interested in trying the curved fans~

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far we have done this mod on M62, M62TU, M70, and S62 cars with great results. Less noise, more airflow. The last trip I took with the M70 car got the best mileage as well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
So far we have done this mod on M62, M62TU, M70, and S62 cars with great results. Less noise, more airflow. The last trip I took with the M70 car got the best mileage as well.
What objective evidence can you provide that this fan moves more air than the stock fan? Saying that it feels like more air is being pulled though the grille is subjective. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but you're speaking to a numbers crowd.

Also, did you compare fans of similar conditions? In order for these results to be valid, you'd have to test the brand new E65 setup against a brand new M5 setup. If the stock fan you replaced wasn't operating at its peak, then it's obvious that you'd see an improvement from a brand new fan setup, regardless of whether it was a stock M5 setup or an E65 setup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have just received the parts to do this mod. I will weigh the original fan/cluth and the new one and will report back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bimmerbear, all good points - I do not have numerical data on air flow. We did comparisons before and after with feel of airflow on our hand as the air flows through the grills as well as observing a cigarette's smoke being drawn in. The most compelling comparison, was 2 side by side 850's with M70 engines and a sub 1 year clutch on the test car and my car with the new fan setup with an under drive pulley. I went from 97 to 110mm pulley for the fan and my car had more air flow. Again, not scientific, but its obvious when you see it.

Dave, keep us posted on your findings, I hope that its a good mod for you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts