BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
580? The press release says 510 hp. Am I missing something? A 6.3L V8 producing 510 hp ouich Sounds like a GTO engine.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
FAST 5 said:
The 510HP is consider the "minimum" for this engine. MB put this engine in a CLK DTM and was rated at 580HP.
Yes,in a CLK DTM with less restrictive exhaust,Cats removed and more aggressive headers and ECU mapping then the production engine.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,
Don't get me wrong, I own a 2003 model M5 sedan with the completet DINAN S2 package, but.....................
it seems as though Mercedes will "MOP THE FLOOR" with BMW, with this new 580 BHP motor. Plus, the exterior design is clearly more attractive than BMW's new body style.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pls define mopping the floor because so far its the M5 who mops every saloon car and manage to mop a few supercars too. so far we only heard in the mags saying like this :

Audi's M3 killer
Audi's M5 killer
MB's M3 killer
MB's M5 killer
Audi's X3/X5 killer
MB's X3/X5 killer

and so forth. showing that most BMW cars especially M3/M5 always set up new benchmark. so i dont think any other manufacturers could claim the titled from M3/M5.

funny AMG tried to follow BMW's footstep in creating N/A engines since they had to put a halt to their supercharge V8s and bi-turbo V12s. First its Audi, then AMG.

by the time they finished installing their so-called-proud engines to their upcoming E55 AMG, by then the M5 is already 4-5 years old.

ah? exterior design is clearly more attractive? i dont see any attractiveness in MB's design since their designs are quickly out-dated while BMW's new designs will last for another decade. Congrats to BMW on what they have done in designing the cars.

Correct me if im wrong. Comments / suggestions pls do so. Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont think you can claim this as 580bhp when thats what they can get out of a race setup. In street mode its 510- still plenty. What would M's V10 do if it was not concerned with fuel consumption, emissions, reliability? I bet it could match that power output.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I doubt the new E65 will get 580hp, 520-530 hp is my guess.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Just_me said:
I doubt the new E65 will get 580hp, 520-530 hp is my guess.
i.e. same as the M5, but with more torque. So it certainly won't wipe the floor, not with an MB autobox (even the 7 speeder)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
FAST 5 said:
The 510HP is consider the "minimum" for this engine. MB put this engine in a CLK DTM and was rated at 580HP.

Sorry to say you are wrong.. the CLK-DTM is a 5.5kompressor (most akin to the SLR engine) not the NA 6.3l engine..

that doesn't mean I dont appreciate that that engine is hugely powerful and will wait to see how it performs.. looks like they are already advertising a ML63 AMG..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Taipan said:
Sorry to say you are wrong.. the CLK-DTM is a 5.5kompressor (most akin to the SLR engine) not the NA 6.3l engine..

that doesn't mean I dont appreciate that that engine is hugely powerful and will wait to see how it performs.. looks like they are already advertising a ML63 AMG..
don't be too quick to say he's wrong! i believe that CLK he is refering to is a NA "racing" version not the one that you can by for a ridiculous amount of money

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
digger said:
don't be too quick to say he's wrong! i believe that CLK he is refering to is a NA "racing" version not the one that you can by for a ridiculous amount of money
Yup, the one-off bright orange (oddly close to McLaren's traditional colour) CLK-DTM with the 6.3l V8 which you can read about in certain recent publications (incl. EVO and Circuit Driver).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts