BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just test drove the new E63.
All I can say is WOW!
Total monster! Torque down low is incredible, it feels like our car above 5000rpm all the time.
The steering is very communicative, and the suspension is markedly improved over 2009.
If you haven't driven it yet, I highly recommend test driving it!

·
Registered
992 Posts
It's a great car, I had the privilege of going to the AMG Test Drive Event that MBUSA held at El Toro airbase over the weekend.

We got to take a C63, E63 and/or SL63 on their 1.1 (or so) mile track.

I liked the car, but it felt significantly heavier than our M5. On the track, I still feel like the M5 is sharper, more agile and communicative. I'm comparing one lap in an MBUSA made track in the E63 compared to countless laps at the BMW Performance Center in an M5, though.

The torque on the E63 is fantastic. However when you're on a track, I think the M5 is more satisfying and forgiving. The E63 will break lose without warning. ESP Sport cannot compare to M-Dynamic Mode.

Sadly though, I think the E63 is better than our cars for daily driving. The near instantaneous torque and comfort is better suited for daily driving.

The transmission was very smooth and extremely fast for an automatic. The interior of the E63 was pretty cool (with the new gadgets and all). The car looks significantly better in person that in pictures.

What kinda bugged me about the E63 was the damn push-button park.

It's no doubt that the E63 is a great car. But, I'll wait for the F10 M5. If that isn't up to par, I think I'd get a face-lifted C63 AMG with the new P31 Performance Package and LSD and hopefully by then, MB will put in the MCT transmission on the car, over the E63.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I drove the E63 hard and did not get me going, it had torque down low but the power up top was certainly no 525hp (bs marketing claims). It is a marked improvement over the E55 in terms of handling and steering feel but still left me wanting.

The transmission is better than the 5 and 7 speed autos but what isn't? It wasn't as responsive or playful as SMG and it wouldn't always downshift when I wanted. AMG is putting a dual clutch transaxle in the SLS so it seems MCT will have a very short lifespan:7:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was just reading a comparison review in road and track earlier today between the CTS-V, the XFR and the c63. THe c63 came out on top, which was not a huge surprise but i was astonished to see that they had it down for a 4.0 second run from 0-60. Wow, that's fast! A review of the panamera turbo in the same issue had that car for a 3.2 second run from 0-60. The panamera turbo seems like it will be unbeatable in the world of sports sedans for a while...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must say, with the limited time behind the wheel, it felt quite responsive.
MB replaced the front air suspension with fixed springs for the 2010 E63.
The steering wheel feedback was not lacking when compared to the M5, and the suspension was firm but yet comfortable.
I was impressed with the cornering feel with my limited time today.
It "felt" much faster than the M5. I know it's the torque that has my butt dyno fooled.
I must say the best feature that really got my juices flowing was the exhaust note! I thought it was perfection. It was aggressive, loud, but not obnoxious.
My current lease ends May 2010, and I must say that the E63 is on the top of the list for my next car...can't wait for the F10 M5...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've only driven an 06 E55, which had fantastic low-end power, but obviously lacked good steering feel/handling, a high redline, and an exciting transmission. This seems like a good step by Merc in the right direction. Hopefully I'll get to try one out at some point...

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL,
Since I've never owned or driven an AMG car before, never really scrutinized its appearance other than the occasional one seen on the road.
Must say that the photos do not do it justice.
It looks much nicer in person.
But, yes, the rear is reminiscent of a Hyundai zzzzz

·
Registered
568 Posts
I hear the MB will drop a twin turbo V8 in the 63 series AMG line up, so I am not sure how much longer the 6.2 L V8 is going to be around. I hate to purchase it now and then realize the next model year will have a new engine. Since your lease is up in May 2010, you may want to pick up a used C63 until the F10 M5 is released in 2011/12. Then you can compare it with the E63 with whatever engine it has.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I looked long and hard at the e63 before going with the M5. One thing is for sure, that MB as a company has been having difficulty with customer satisfaction. Several of my colleagues have had problems with their MB and who knows about AMG.

That being said, it seems that alot of M5 owners are craving low end torque, which is what this car definitely has.

I agree that the handling on the M5 'feels superior' to the e63.

my .02

·
Registered
992 Posts
I hear the MB will drop a twin turbo V8 in the 63 series AMG line up, so I am not sure how much longer the 6.2 L V8 is going to be around. I hate to purchase it now and then realize the next model year will have a new engine.
Exactly, and MB has been known in the past to do such. Imagine the dismay of the people that bought S55 and CL55 AMG's with a n/a 5.5L engine only to find that the very next year, they released the same car with a s/c'd 5.5L engine for about the same price. I would not want to be one of those people.

I would never buy an AMG, or any MB for that matter
yawn.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another option that I considered would be to buy out my M5 when the lease ends and then drop Dinan stroker engine in it.
My only concern is that I would not want to own my M5 without warranty. I know that Dinan MATCHES the manufacturer warranty. Does anyone know what happens if I modded the stroker engine AFTER the manufacturer warranty ends? Does Dinan offer an ADDITIONAL 4 years, 50,000 miles? Or am I SOL...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another option that I considered would be to buy out my M5 when the lease ends and then drop Dinan stroker engine in it.
My only concern is that I would not want to own my M5 without warranty. I know that Dinan MATCHES the manufacturer warranty. Does anyone know what happens if I modded the stroker engine AFTER the manufacturer warranty ends? Does Dinan offer an ADDITIONAL 4 years, 50,000 miles? Or am I SOL...
I'm not too familiar with the stroker. Is it a brand new engine, or do they just modify the current engine? If they put in a new engine, maybe they will just put a warranty on the engine for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had an 07 SL 550, the car was a piece of trash compared to my M5. Waste of $110,000. I also have a 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ and the customer service at GM is 3x that at Mercedes.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That being said, it seems that alot of M5 owners are craving low end torque, which is what this car definitely has.

my .02
I don't mind the lack of low end torque, I actually enjoy it. It makes it that much more rewarding to drive the car when you have to "work" for the power, rather than it just being handed to you. And, I've beaten cars off the line with nearly twice as much torque (CL600) as my car. Gearing is a beautiful thing :goldcup:
I'm not too familiar with the stroker. Is it a brand new engine, or do they just modify the current engine? If they put in a new engine, maybe they will just put a warranty on the engine for you.
Dinan gives you a "new" stroked out engine and takes your old one to stroke it out for someone else

·
Registered
271 Posts
We will never go back to MB after one experience we had. Back in 2001 or 2002, we leased a clk 430. I think we had a loaner for more time than we had the car. It was in the shop constantly. It was one time that we were picking the car up that we learned that they had leased us a pre-owned car. It didn't have any significant miles on it when we got it, and the dealer told us that it was new...We were furious grrrrrrr

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Thanks for the insight.

I looked long and hard at the e63 before going with the M5. One thing is for sure, that MB as a company has been having difficulty with customer satisfaction. Several of my colleagues have had problems with their MB and who knows about AMG.

my .02

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.