BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1°/ Somebody now if the M5 2001 model have bi-xenon headlight like Z8 ?

2°/ And what is the different (see on BMWUSA.COM site) between ALL LEATHER and EXTENDED LEATHER ?

Few times i have see this question but sorry to ask it again !

Regards

JC

·
Registered
331 Posts
Answer to Question 2
HadE55NowM5
Junior Member (<31 posts)
posted 28 June 2000 18:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the Official BMW Fast Facts 2000 book, both the Exclusive Trim and Sport Trim interiors are available in either All Leather or Extended Leather.
The Exclusive Trim puts the accent on luxury. The Nappa Heritage leather used here is ultra -soft, and in the All Leather version is applied more extensively than in the corresponding Sport Trim version. Seat pleating is longitudinal, with closely spaced pleats.

The Exclusive Trim interior is available in Black, English Green and Caramel, the latter two colors being especially warm. Here, Bruyere Club wool trim is standard, with Burl Walnut as a no-cost alternative.

On the All Leather version, the following areas are ultra-soft Nappa Heritage:

Seat Center areas
Seat Side areas
Back sides of seats
Head-restraint centers and sides
Door-panel inserts
Door-panels
Door armrests/pulls
Door Ledges
Main dash areas
Glove-compartment door
Center console and armrest

The upper dash areas and lower B-pillar
are the more durable, "grainier" standard NAPPA leather.

The rear parcel shelf as well as the Headliner (including the A-, Upper B-, and C-pillar are ALCANTARA (a synthetic suede-like material).

The Extended Leather version of the Exclusive Trim interior differs from its All-Leather counterpart in the followng ways:

The seat side areas
Back side of seats,
are ALL trimmed in the less supple NAPPA
leather.

The door panels are not leather at all (they are simply FOAM-BACKED GRAIN MATERIAL).

The door ledges, upper dash areas, main
dash areas, and glove compartment door are all SHAPED SKIN (LEATHER GRAIN).

The lower B-Pillar is GRAINED PLASTIC.

The rear parcel shelf, and headliner,
including A-, upper B-. and C-Pillar
are all VELOUR CLOTH (although Alcantara
is a no-cost option on the Extended Leather option.

The sport Trim interior theme highlights the M5's stunningly sporty and high-tech nature, and features the stiffer, grainier less soft and supple NAPPA POINT leather. The seats are cross-pleated at relatively wide interval; the standard trim is aluminum-look. Upholstery materials are as follows:

The following areas are trimmed in NAPPA POINT in the ALL LEATHER configuration:

Seat center areas
Back side of seats
Door panel inserts.

The following areas are trimmed in slightly softer NAPPA LEATHER (NOT the still-softer Nappa Heritage found on the EXCLUSIVE interiors):

Seat side areas
Door panels
Door armrests/pulls
Door Ledges
Main and upper dash areas
Glove compartment door
Center console and armrest
Lower B-pillar

The less luxurious Extended Leather of the Sport Trim is similar to the more luxurious All Leather Sport Trim except in the following areas:

The door panels are
FOAM-BACKED GRAINED MATERIAL

The Lower B-Pillar is GRAINED PLASTIC

The Door Ledges, Main and upper dash
areas, ans Glove-compartment door are
SHAPED SKIN (LEATHER GRAIN).

The Rear parcel shelf and Headliner
(including A-, Upper B-, and C-pillar)
are all VELOUR CLOTH. However, as with the corresponding Extended Leather Exclusive Trim, Alcantara can be substituted on these areas for no cost.

The Sport Trim is available in Black, Imola Red, Silverstone, and Le Mans Blue. Bruyere Club wood trim is available as a no-cost alternative to the standard aluminum-look trim.

Be aware is mighty restrictive to certain color combinations. For instance, one is prohibited from combining Caramel Exclusive with Alpine White, Titanium Silver, Siverstone, or Avus Blue (although I have heard of some M5 owners claiming that they have Alpine White/Caramel.

Likewise, the two-tone Sport Trim interiors can not be combined with Oxford Green, Royal Red, Imola Red, Alpine White or Anthracite (except that one can order Imola Red with Anthracite, Alpine White, or Imola Red). Also, Avus Blue can not be combined with with Imola Red.

Also, Alpine White, Jet Black, Titanium Silver, Carbon Black, and Silverstone all can not be combined with English Green.

It seems that certain combinations ARE NOT available in ALL LEATHER (such as Titanium Silver with Le Mans Blue, Silverstone with Le Mans Blue, or Jet Black with Black EXCLUSIVE TRIM!). I truly do not understand the rationale for these limitations.

My M5 is Jet Black with ALL LEATHER Caramel. To my eye, the abundance of Nappa Heritage leather rivals the the sweet-smelling and buttery Connolly leather in a Ferrari 550 Maranello. As Motor Trend says, it's as if a 550 Maranello interior exploded inside the car!

Apparently, the All Leather option that is free in the USA costs DM 12,000 in Germany!

I don't mind sacrificing the powe-rear and sliding-side sunshades in the name of getting the much more luxurious Exclusive Trim All Leather (which as noted above, uses a nicer and more leather than even the correponding Sport Trim All Leather. Apparently the extra thickness of the All Leather Upper Rear Door Ledges do no accomadate the metal inserts that BMW installs for the side shades to slide in.

The only caveat with the leather dash is that it is prone to shrinkage and warping. Therefore, one must regularly treat it with a suitable leather conditioner (i.e. Lexol, Connolly Hyde Food, or Auto Glym), and also regularly use an effective (i.e. reflective Sun Shade).

07/00 M5 Silver/Titanium

·
Registered
90 Posts
that was an amazing discourse. many thanks
Originally posted by marlin:
Answer to Question 2
HadE55NowM5
Junior Member (<31 posts)
posted 28 June 2000 18:49

·
Registered
319 Posts
Marlin- That is some kind of answer!! While you're at it, do you know anything about the meaning of life. j/k.
Here's my 0.02 from my experience last week. As it came from sales management at a dealer it probably has a +/-60% chance of being correct.
Not withstanding all that you said, for 2000 cars, I was told that for 2001, your interior choices are Sportive or Exclusive, no all or extended leather choices. They did not say what type of leather had become standard with either one, i.e "all" or "extended". Based on what you've said, I sure hope that it is "all".
My car, due to be built at end Sept/early Oct, is in Jet black and caramel per your choices. Sounds like you're quite pleased. I have been trying to get the dealer to let me special order a 3 series blue, but that is another story. Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
That post was from 6/22/200, member HadE55NowM5. He gets the credit, I just had the good memory to recall his post.

I am very skeptical of what the dealers have to say, even though they should be the experts. They really don't seem to know the M5 or put any effort in to learn about it!!

07/00 M5 Silver/Titanium

1 - 6 of 6 Posts