BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it's just nice to drive fast. Had to be in to work early this am, so the roads were empty. Spent MUCH time over 120, with a couple steady runs up to speedo indicated 165. What a rush! The engine was singing away, and felt like it wanted to go even faster - damn the limiter!!

After all the bumper-to-bumer traffic we have to deal with every day, it's nice to remember just why we have these cars in the first place. Enjoy yours. I certainly am having a blast with mine!!

-SteveP
'00 M5 Avus Blue/black all leather exclusive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Today I have received by mail the Kelleners Sport Speed Modul, in order to remove the 250 km/h Speed Limit.

I cant wait to have it installed....

If 250 km/h is a good top speed, 300 km/h should be better isn´t it?

I will post the experience.
jlsebast

·
Registered
257 Posts
Holger,

I have my US M5 on the ship on it's way to Europe right now... I will be here on business for a while. Could you please comment on your high speed experience with the M5? I have quite a bit of experience with 993 and Viper at high speed, but some information on the M5 would be great before it arrives.

Thks, Dan

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Holger,

I second Daniel's request for more information. Exactly what do you mean by "ugly"? I suspect I understand what you mean but I'd like to make certain. Neither of my M3s were happy above 125 though I have not had my M5 at those kinds of speeds to be able to compare, yet anyway.

Thanx in advance.

BH

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my M5 (with governor) to an indicated 172 about 12 times so far and it is so smooth and the car rides as if on rails. I have had Porche's to 200mph before and its NOTHING lik ethe M5. Can't wait till I am done modifying my car because the stock one is FANTASTIC!!!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The car's powerband has a "sweet spot" at about 210 km/h (130 mph) IMO...

Alps

·
Registered
29 Posts
As I posted before i have just fitted the kelleners speed modul.

Before, I used to hit the speed limiter almost every day. Now,I see very often 270/280. The car is very quick until 270/280 but from that, the speed increases much slower. Due to that and to traffic (now in my country there are a lot of tourist) the true is that in the last week I have not been able to see more than 290 km/h, still far away of the 300/310.

I hope my car would be capable to reach 300/310 as Holger said, because as I said the speed increase seems very slow since 280/290.

Holger, has your car been chipped or just only de-limited?

I must say that I drive at sea-level, and that temperature is 30/35 celsius (that includes climatization), and always use 98 RON of TOTAL.

Regards

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got an "open" version from the beginning on. Depending on the street the meter shows between 310km/h (flat street) and 330km/h (downhill) when the rpm limiter in the sixth gear stop this. The suspension is very ugly at this kind of speeds!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the dinan software installed, and i took the car with 3 guys in it to 175mph. It was a total blast esp that we were video taping the road, and speedometer.

It was on I-5 in CA. Ther car is very solid at 170mph, it felt safe, and well balanced. I never tried any smart moves at that speed, but i felt i could as it felt like no other 170mph stock car i had driven before...

Wish 170 was the speed limit instead of 70.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by D.Wiggs:
I've had my M5 (with governor) to an indicated 172 about 12 times so far and it is so smooth and the car rides as if on rails. I have had Porche's to 200mph before and its NOTHING lik ethe M5. Can't wait till I am done modifying my car because the stock one is FANTASTIC!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry guys for replying so late.

Regarding that "ugly feeling":
I've also owned a Porsche 993 Turbo with 465hp and compared to that the BMW starts to feel "swimming" at about 130mph. Specially if the road is bad and you're in a curve you've to be very carefully. Also if the rpm limiter in the 6th gear gets you in a curve you can be really in trouble. To fix that you need a harder suspension, but this will also result less comfort in the low speed range. Therefore I still drive with the standard suspension. Also the BMW brakes aren't made for driving quite often speeds like this where you need to brake very hard if somebody change the lanes in front of you. I killed two complete sets of brake disks in 15.000 miles. Now I've the Porsche brakes installed since 10.000 miles but because the wheel bearing isn't strong enough the Porsche brakes will also die young.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Holger.. are you often touching the limiter in 6th in a curve ?

I've my limiter out but I'll never drive in a curve at speeds above 120 mph or so, I think that to master the car in such conditions when a danger comes is almost impossible. Beware, I remember you that the higher danger comes not from you but from outside. A friend came across a tourist's summer chair on a highway at 120 mph and fortunately the chair only damaged a little the front of his car. But he thought that it could have been the end. He saw another car already out of the highway with a woman bleeding all around.

Just my 0.02, but I just prefer to drive to see clearly where I'm going at high speeds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With 185mph every autobahn in Germany has curves. With 100mph you think that they're straight. So I mean curves where your can see approx. a quarter of a mile of street ahead but there you get already problems with the rpm limiter together with some nice humps or whatever on the street.
I'm for business quite often in US and I wonder how you guys want to drive your M5 at 120mph? Too much police around and most highways and freeways not in the best condition.
Regarding the tyre pressure I'm already at the maximum.
By the way is there any possibility to rent an M5 in the bay area? I'm back there on Wednesday and this stupid Japanese rental cars really suck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts