BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a G-Tech Pro or Beltronics FX to measure your maximum lateral G-Forces in an e39 M5?

I had a discussion with a friend the other day, as we were driving to lunch in my Beast. I was fairly sure that the Beast could generate slightly more than 1 G on R-Compound tires. Was I wrong?

I'm just curious. I know our engines are designed to handle high lateral loads and keep on feedin' the life-giving supply of oil.

I'm more interested in measured data than "specifications and capabilities".

Thanks.

:wroom:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm sure over 1.0G is not out of the question with the right suspension/tire/wheel setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I remember something like...

I remember when M5 first came out, one of the mags tested it and said the E39 M5 is designed for 200 mph+ in aerodynamics and near 2g in the corners. I'm sure that's done on a super speedway but that's some impressive numbers. And it stuck in my mind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: I remember something like...

Here's some info to consider:

When referring to both the M5 and Z8, TIS information indicates that high speed cornering (transverse acceleration) of up to 1.2g can be achieved.

Additionally the scavenging oil pumps only begin drawing oil from the cylinder head at cornering forces > 0.9g. The DSC control module provides this signal. My interpretation of this is that this elaborate oil pump operation would not have been value-added if routine/sustained cornering forces >0.9g were not likely.

:wroom:

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts